New Ford GT

Its 2016 , so with that in mind its a very nice looking car . However looking in race trim at it in daytona it was hard to tell the difference between a Ferrari and a ford . And i can't find peace with the 6 cylinder . What a shame in an american supercar .

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...i can't find peace with the 6 cylinder . What a shame in an american supercar .

My sentiments exactly. Eight cylinders is the minimum number any supercar/exotic/hypercar should have. 'Far as I'm concerned, '12' should be the standard.

That said, Ford reportedly went the TT 6 cyl route in order to meet class rules at Le Mans. 'Evidently they really had no other choice. :sad:

My sentiments exactly. Eight cylinders is the minimum number any supercar/exotic/hypercar should have. 'Far as I'm concerned, '12' should be the standard.

That said, Ford reportedly went the TT 6 cyl route in order to meet class rules at Le Mans. 'Evidently they really had no other choice. :sad:

Larry - Does this mean the XJ220 was never a super car :)

From the engine choice, I thought it was down to 2 things not related to class rules. 1/ A proven engine that is already used under race conditions, 2/ Packaging

Brett

Keith

I'm pretty sure the engine selection was principally down to Ford's vision of the future for their road car division. Downsizing and turbocharging is the way forward. Much as I like V8's myself, they are soon going to be an endangered species in production cars. As Brett says the PU is also race proven and it's location and ergonomics greatly help the handling.

Hope they never paint it all red though.. :laugh:

BTW the XJ220 was/is one of my all time favourites.. :)

I think the main reason Ford have gone for a 6 cylinder will be weight, packaging and fuel efficiency. All the things you need for endurance racing these days. The new car looks great, it has a clear lineage to the GT and GT40 and is more about technology and race winning than being a just a homage to the original cars. Although there is no v8 version lets be thankful that Ford are producing a new GT. I just wish I could afford one.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Larry - Does this mean the XJ220 was never a super car :)

Yeeeeeup...pretty much! Neither was the Buick Grand National GNX if you think about it! :nice:

'Sorry, but, to me there's nothing "super" about a V6. IMHO they're fine for daily drivers/commuter cars, but that's about it (...even though I'm well aware of the fact they can be made to produce big h.p./torque numbers these days). 'Just my own personal prejudice, ya understand... ;)

You have to remember, I grew up in the "muscle car" era...when 426 Hemis, 427 L-88s and such were the 'end-all-and-be-all'. Back then, 6 cylinder engines powered 'grocery getters' and 'work vehicles' and that was about it. 'Hard for car guys of my generation to get past that stereotype. (You know the ole saying about teaching an old dog new tricks... :D)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I just wish I could afford one.

Evidently being able to afford one does not guarantee a person will be able to buy one! Ford has gone the 'quasi-Ferrari' route as far as determining who 'qualifies' to get one. 'Word is one has to have been a long time Ford buyer and I don't know what all else. There are supposedly a number of 'prerequisites' in play.

Alternatively, Fran will sell a Superlite SL-C to all who want and can afford one. There are no 'hoops' to jump thru.

On top of that, given all the room in an SL-C's engine bay, said buyer could install whatever TT or SC V8 (V10!...V12!) his little ole heart might desire and he'd still be 'a couple hundred thou' under what a new TT V6 Ford GT would set him back.

And, no...I'm NOT on Fran's payroll! :D (I doubt he'd want me to be... :sneaky:)

G'nite, All.

Keith

Yeeeeeup...pretty much! Neither was the Buick Grand National GNX if you think about it! :nice:

'Sorry, but, to me there's nothing "super" about a V6. IMHO they're fine for daily drivers/commuter cars, but that's about it (...even though I'm well aware of the fact they can be made to produce big h.p./torque numbers these days). 'Just my own personal prejudice, ya understand... ;)

You have to remember, I grew up in the "muscle car" era...when 426 Hemis, 427 L-88s and such were the 'end-all-and-be-all'. Back then, 6 cylinder engines powered 'grocery getters' and 'work vehicles' and that was about it. 'Hard for car guys of my generation to get past that stereotype. (You know the ole saying about teaching an old dog new tricks... :D)

But so did I Larry and variously owned '67 GT350, '68 GT500 and a series of Mustangs (see a pattern emerging here?). Then caught the Bowtie bug with 19701/2 Z28 Camaro and a couple of Corvettes. Raced them too but as an engine fanatic I also welcome new innovation and tech. I really like small displacement turbocharged engines and rotaries in particular. If it's got a piston and goes !BANG! I'm up for it!

If I could have, I'd have run a turbine too...

If I was active now I would not find a V8 enough of a challenge - been there done that.. :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Don't think so at all Larry but I do suspect it may be a 'European Thing.'

I totally agree. Europeans' tastes/preferences regarding car size/car design/engine size/performance criterion have pretty much always been different from those here in the U.S. (The cost of fuel and taxes on engine size playing no small part in that.)

Different strokes, as they say...

Last edited:
I still think Ford should suggest/require the
persons awarded right to buy GT to donate 50 rides
to Make a Wish. 500 cars would be 25,000 rides to
disabled/challenged kids.Great community service
and tremendous PR for Ford. If I get one I'd gladly
do it!!!!!!!!!!!

But so did I Larry and variously owned '67 GT350, '68 GT500 and a series of Mustangs (see a pattern emerging here?). Then caught the Bowtie bug with 19701/2 Z28 Camaro and a couple of Corvettes. Raced them too but as an engine fanatic I also welcome new innovation and tech. I really like small displacement turbocharged engines and rotaries in particular. If it's got a piston and goes !BANG! I'm up for it!

If I could have, I'd have run a turbine too...

If I was active now I would not find a V8 enough of a challenge - been there done that.. :)

FWIW, I just bought a '16 F-150 with a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost. This was not a performance oriented purchase (at all), but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this V6 runs. It pulls strong, even in a heavy truck.

I can definitely see benefits of this motor in a small light sports car.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, I just bought a '16 F-150 with a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost...I have been pleasantly surprised at how well this V6 runs. It pulls strong, even in a heavy truck.

I can definitely see benefits of this motor in a small light sports car.

One of my friends has both Chevy and Ford half-ton pickups. He says the Ford V-6 runs rings around the Chevy V-8.

I, too, could see the benefit of a turbo V-6 (wasn't the Buick Grand National a turbo-V-6?).

Cheers!!

Doug

Back