New Intake Manifold Option

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds great!

You need a 8.1L V8 in a <2600 lb car like you need a hole in the head. I'm just finishing up my 72 Torino 8.4L "hot rod" and am thinking it needs less motor. Way less motor.

Ron Earp

Admin
On the other hand, it is a Chevy. So, best to err on the side of caution and make it as large as possible.

Ricardo, that manifold looks like it would be a LOT easier to fit a non-restrictive air cleaner setup than one for our ITB manifolds. I've been scratching my head about what to do on my Harrop manifold in my SLC.

I don't think it would fit under the two tubes going up to the roll cage, But as for to much torque and to much power, boy I don't know about you guys but if you can't spin the tires at 100 mph, take it back I don't want it, its no fun for me. : )

Ricardo, that manifold looks like it would be a LOT easier to fit a non-restrictive air cleaner setup than one for our ITB manifolds. I've been scratching my head about what to do on my Harrop manifold in my SLC.

Use the filters I'm using. I had them custom made. Less than a 10rwhp loss vs. open trumpets. BBR filters. Great guy and had them out to me really quickly once I gave him the measurements he needed. Fit like a glove the first time too.

I don't think it would fit under the two tubes going up to the roll cage, But as for to much torque and to much power, boy I don't know about you guys but if you can't spin the tires at 100 mph, take it back I don't want it, its no fun for me. : )

Yes sir, I agree! :thumbsup:

Use the filters I'm using. I had them custom made. Less than a 10rwhp loss vs. open trumpets. BBR filters. Great guy and had them out to me really quickly once I gave him the measurements he needed. Fit like a glove the first time too.

:thumbsup:

Just vent some air to the engine compartment, and the lack of tight underhood clearance (as on, say, a Corvette) means I don't need to build an airbox and roof scoop?

JR

I made my roof scoop functional to supply fresh air while moving. I have exhaust fans in the rear vents to keep cool air flowing through the engine bay as much as possible while idling. I have future plans to replace the rear window w/vents.

?

Harrop - velocity stack filters; done

nre manifold - throttle bodies are going to be wedged right up against the firewall; hope you don't mind running intake plumbing right into the cabin.

?

Harrop - velocity stack filters; done

nre manifold - throttle bodies are going to be wedged right up against the firewall; hope you don't mind running intake plumbing right into the cabin.

The NRE X-ram intake I saw at SEMA this year is reversible, so the intake can face toward the rear, just like the stock manifold- I talked to Tom himself to verify. LS3 and LS7 versions are planned.

This one looks like a similar, but different variant, with support for two TBs, not just one.

The consensus on fit seems to be that the width is too great to clear the chassis down tubes coming from the driver rool hoop. Maybe those could be re-engineered to fit...

The NRE X-ram intake I saw at SEMA this year is reversible, so the intake can face toward the rear, just like the stock manifold- I talked to Tom himself to verify. LS3 and LS7 versions are planned.

This one looks like a similar, but different variant, with support for two TBs, not just one.

The consensus on fit seems to be that the width is too great to clear the chassis down tubes coming from the driver rool hoop. Maybe those could be re-engineered to fit...

Soooo throttle bodies sticking outside the car pointing at rearwards traffic? Lol

I am designing an intake for my engine and have some different options. The duel plenum and TB solution can be the nicest.

A few thoughts on that intake. It does make more hp for sure and sounds good but watching the video a few things come to mind.

1- 1 tb vs 2 tb's. I think they use a 90mm single tb or 2 90mm tb. They seem to be opening the tb a little faster on the X-ram, which can make it rev faster, possible anyway. Even if the same speed you are getting in a ton more air so I would think it could rev faster. That might be a little bit.

2- The runners are way longer than stock so this helps a ton with lower rpms and can be good for when they revved the engine.

3- overall the engine revving sounds really sick. I wonder if the gianzo can handle that tq.

Back