New kit coming spring of 05 !

I guess it's my turn to play "show and tell".
Here's what I have been doing "behind the scenes" for the last 10 months or so.

I am working closely with the engineering team at Premier Motorsports, as a technical consultant, for the upcoming 'Premier GT' kits.

We are using the latest CAD/CAM software and machining processes to bring you a very high quality product at an attractive price.

Our main goals/features of this kit are:

#1. SAFETY,
the tubular chassis has a number of stategically placed laser & water cut steel plate panels for strength. (this will result in a semi-monocoque type of construction)
The chassis will have rollover protection consisting of a rollbar and steel structure in the roof & windshield pillars.
Front and rear 'subframes' will be bolted to the main chassis on shear panels for crush zones and ease of repairs.

#2. DRIVABILITY/ERGONOMICS,
what good is a great looking car if you don't 'fit' in it and it's uncomfortable to drive? This is a drawback of alot of replicas and many exotic cars in general.
We reckognized early on, that since we are working with a very low roof line and small cockpit, every effort should be made to make the car as 'user friendly' as possible.
....that means, extra attention is being paid into making our own custom adjustable pedal assemblies, steering column, and seat mounts.
The Premier GT will also have flow through ventilation with a strategically mounted cabin filter and roof mounted air-exhaust duct.
We have made every effort to keep the foot well as large as possible with our chassis design. Each kit will also have a fully adjustable steering column with quick release mount. We also have spent hours painstakingly going over the smallest details, such as developing easy to use front control arm adjusters, to make front end alignment changes a simple procedure.
We have also spent alot of time developing a kit with a tighter turning circle to make parking lot manuvering effortless.

#3. FIT & FINISH,
nealry all manufacturing is done in house with full machine shop capabilities, and plasma,laser,water jet, & flame cutting technology for the chassis and steelwork.
All chassis components are built in one of the two GT chassis jigs.

Our composites department is eaqually impressive with a highly skilled team of craftsmen. (one of which was previously a head tool/mold maker for a major boat manufacturer).
The body can be molded in your choice of color with or without stripes. YES, molded in color...
this is a nice feature for those who are doing a 'budget build' and would rather not spend thousands of dollars painting the car right away.

#4. DRIVETRAIN CHOICES,
we are proud to be able to offer you the choice of using a smallblock ford V8 in your kit or the modern fuel injected 4.6 modular engines.
Transaxle choices will be the audi or ZF for pushrod engines with renault and porsche fitments to be developed in the future.
For the modular engine crowd, we have designed and are manufacturing our own bellhousing to fit the 4.6 to a ZF gearbox.
Of course all drivetrain hardware such as axles, mounts, brackets, shifter pieces,etc will be included in your package for a true 'bolt-in' installation.
We will also have complete header/exhaust systems for the various engine combinations available.

see the pics at my clubphoto page here,
web page

42734039-5b4a-02000180-.jpg

Alain

It looks like you are using SN-95 hubs and maybe steering rack. If so, I love that idea. 13" brakes for $400, manual rack for $300. Is that a T-bird nuckle in back? I think you can swap the T-bird hub for a cobra unit and pick up the 12" cobra breaks for about $400 also.

Great news!! By the time my Cobra is finished and I am ready to buy a GT there will be lots of choices out there....

Adam,
I noticed the parts as well. The front hubs look like SN95s to me as well, better deal @ 50 bucks than the C5 bearings @ $500 each...
The rear spindles sure look like Tbird/Mark VIII spindles, too. And you are correct, you can convert them to the 11.65 Cobra rotors, by using Cobra hubs and an adaptor bracket available from Northracecars.com or Breezeautomotive.com.
Best part for you guys in the US is that every NAPA or Autozone on the corner will have the parts you need...

If I remember correctly, Alain had an FFR before, so thats where he might have gotten the idea because they use the same parts.

Charlie M

Supporter
Looks good Alain, it's good to have more choices.

Have you worked out a cost yet? Will this just be available as a rolling chassis kit or complete with lights, interior, etc?

Charlie

The front hubs are standard issue ford units, and the rear hubs are tbird/lincoln units.

The standard ford (sn95type) brakes will be a direct bolt on to our custom made spindle assembly, and upgrading to lightweight Alcon, wilwood etc is just a matter of bolting on the appropriate caliper bracket.

The steering rack is a custom made unit in order to keep front end geometry where we wanted.

Bill D, the rear clip comes this way from the mold then the center section is added afterwards,,,,right now (pre production). I remember the composite guys talking about it, but can't remember the exact reasons why. I can certainly find out about it though.
I must admit that I leave most of the body/composite work in the hands of our composite crew as that is not my strong point.

The kits will be available as complete kits, in a couple of different "stages" for those who want a nearly turn key or even turn key car.

Alain,

All the best with your goals. The more choices the better.

Adam,

Is Dearborn being nice to you? Take care! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have fun!

John

Bill-
during the suspension/steering design stages, we came up with all of the critical hard points on the software program for optimum handling and driver feel.

We looked at alot of different types of front spindle assemblies from nascar type units to street rod stuff and almost all of them required us to make compromises we weren't willing to make.

For example, the mustang 2 type spindles that most street rods use are very reasonably priced and easy to find,,,,,BUT they have a rather large kingpin angle.

By making our own units, we have total control of the kingpin angle, the scrub, steering arm length-ackerman, and even the weight of the piece.

We are using very common threaded upper & lower ball joints, and rod ends on the control arms.
Our adjustment system will let you make changes without having to remove anything. You just loosen the jam nut and turn the adjuster to set your camber & caster angles.

complete kits are targeted to be in the 35k area, but this is in no way set in stone.

Our kit will be very complete, basically requiring the end builder to supply his own engine/gearbox, clutch assembly, wheels -tires, brakes, gauges, and ancillary items hoses/fluids,etc.

This is very interesting Alain. As I am nearing completion of my GT40NZ I will keep an eye on your progress. As you know I was also a dealer for GT40NZ until all changed. I would be interested in the end product. Good Luck

I was wondering when somebody was going to say something about Premier's GT40! I was at Premier's shop in September, and got a chance to see their '40. Chuck and his crew are doing an excellent job and it will be great to see a US built GT40 kit on the market.

Awesome Chuck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

update,
prototype #1 is coming along nicely,,,,just neede to finish up the rollcage assembly and install it, along with a few little brackets/braces,,,then it will be ready for powderpaint.

check out how sharp the front wheels car turn.
This car will be able to drive in about a 23 foot circle!
updated pics are here:
web page

yes, definately,,,,,,there is going to be a bolted on front sub-frame which supports the radiator,a/c condensor, and front nose hinges.

The beauty of a bolt on unit is that it is easily removed, repaired or replaced in case of damage.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Alain,
Sorry if you've already answered this question elsewhere - I couldn't find it if so. Will you have a car at Carlisle or another upcoming show? I'd like to see it and have a closer look (as I'm sure others would too). Thanks,

I'm going to try and have one there, but can't make any promises yet.

The first few cars are already spoken for, and I may have a tough time getting one up to Carlisle.

Back