New member - very interested in getting into a DRB GT40

Hi fellow Gt40 enthusiasts!

I’m Stuart and live in Sydney. I've only recently come across this site and have spent the last few days (even during work hours) reading about peoples build ups, namely: Pete, Peter D, Dimi, Bill Haralambakis & Dave S. Thanks for the excellent information provided on your cars and a detailed written accounts of what's involved in getting these projects completed - given the work involved I'm amazed you found time to post such detailed reports. May I say all of your cars look amazing!

I've held of calling DRB direct at this stage regarding the costs involved in a project like this, I've had a good look at their website and seen the parts lists etc. I commenced to search for any for sale and only found one DRB Kit that has the following items with it:

Well here is the list of bits it comes with.
DRB gt40 body chassis unit (as new)
parts included in the sale:
'85 corvette front suspension
'85 corvette front and rear brakes
DRB fuel tanks
DRB rear uprights and spiggots
DRB door handles
DRB body clip set
DRB gearbox adaptor plate
all for $25000

I have no idea if the price is reasonable given the DRB site list the “Body Chassis unit” at $22,500. Some of the parts shown above have prices on the DRB site but if any one could through me some opinions that would be great.

I was going to PM some of you and ask if you could give me a rough guide on the all up expense of your cars, but as I’m new I considered it maybe a bit rude. If you’d like to PM me and give me some guidance that would be much appreciated, especially those who’ve had turn-key projects. Or, alternately are there any completed one for sale that would meets NSW ADR’s

Cheers

Stuart

If you PM me your details I will call you I live in Newcastle, just up the road from you.

Darrell, very happy DRB owner.
DRB#46
G50 LS1

Hi Stuart
That sounds like a really good deal.You can always call PR and ask about the chassis number you're talking about and he can give you some info on it. You need to work out how much you want to spend on one these cars before you buy. You can buy my car as I can't work out what colour to paint the bloody thing.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the prompt responses Dimi, Darrell & Dave. I've sent PM's to both Darrell & Dave.
Dimi I really appreciate all the information you've provided me. Thanks! Talk to you soon

cheers

Stuart

StuM5,
That car is still listed for sale, and I think it is a 2005 chassis. You may well need to allow to modify the motor mounts for a currently acceptable (to RTA) motor of you plan on registering it here in Sydney. Talk to PR, as suggested above, as he will know what it was set up for, and what may now be needed.
Cheers

Dalton

Dalton

Thanks for that, I have infact had a brief chat with one of the people involved with the sale. After speaking to numerous people on this forum it bacame clear to me that I don't have the skills or machinery to complete a GT40 build. So, I'm now keeping an eye out for completed cars or nearly finished projects that I can get someone else to complete.

Cheers

Stuart

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
DRB will build you a complete car finished and ready to register at what I think is an exceptional price given the amount of labour involved. The price will vary depending on what you want in the car of course. Give PR a ring or better still jump on a plane and come and have a look at his facility.

Well here is the list of bits it comes with.
DRB gt40 body chassis unit (as new)
parts included in the sale:
'85 corvette front suspension
'85 corvette front and rear brakes
DRB fuel tanks
DRB rear uprights and spiggots
DRB door handles
DRB body clip set
DRB gearbox adaptor plate
all for $25000

Hey Stuart if you're not interested in this car any more can you link me up
with the owner please.

DRB will build you a complete car finished and ready to register
Stu, i would check with an approved engineer before taking this route. You might find that ICV rules do not allow this. Unless DRB has low volume approval?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Stu, i would check with an approved engineer before taking this route. You might find that ICV rules do not allow this. Unless DRB has low volume approval?

DRB, on behalf of the constructor, use an approved engineer who signs off on every step of the build, this is what happened with my turn key and the process through to registration was seamless.
I.E. I was the individual constructor and contracted work to DRB, (everything except the engine build) all of which had to be passed by an approved engineer along the way.

Last edited:
There are a number of NSW engineers and, in particular, kit car manufacturers, who have had their knuckles smacked for doing exactly what DRB are suggesting. The RTA are taking an increasingly dim view of Individually CONTRACTED Vehicles.
Stu, if you decide to go ahead, get something in writing from the engineer, that the car will get plates on it at the end. I don't want to rain on the parade, it is well worth investigating thoroughly.
Ring Barry Craig from the RTA. He is THE MAN who will sign off the ICV rego. Get his opinion.
Just my 2c.

There are a number of NSW engineers and, in particular, kit car manufacturers, who have had their knuckles smacked for doing exactly what DRB are suggesting. The RTA are taking an increasingly dim view of Individually CONTRACTED Vehicles.
I don't agree with this advice and IMHO all the kits are somewhat Individually CONTRACTED Vehicles and really what level of completion is up to you.

Stu, if you decide to go ahead, get something in writing from the engineer, that the car will get plates on it at the end. I don't want to rain on the parade, it is well worth investigating thoroughly.
Ring Barry Craig from the RTA. He is THE MAN who will sign off the ICV rego. Get his opinion
I fully agree with Tim in regards to this advice, you need to talk to someone in the know from the RTA and several Engineers. You will hear all sorts of Horror stories from people making the ICV process much harder than it is.

Try it in NSW Dave. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just trying to open their eyes. I sometimes wonder just how much the manufacturers REALLY know (or are willing to tell a customer) about the process IN NSW. Other states have always be much more leanient.
I know first hand, what a bitch the whole thing can be..... i was told quite a load of BS through my build.

Tim I'm not suggesting that you personally are scaring anyone and I agree with most of what you are saying. My point about Horror stories was that in general people will BS you when you're building a car, it happened to me when I built my first Locost years ago and when I built my GT40 as you agree it happened to you aswell. I bet just about every Australian builder has a story they can tell about how some fool fed them a bucket of rubbish regarding registration.

I was trying to let Stu know that this happens on a wide basis and that he really needs to talk to the RTA.:)

Stuart,
I know this section of the Forum is for GT40 Australia (ie. DRB) cars, but if you want to shortcut the above mentioned hassles there is a 2005 RF40 for sale at Coastal Quality Cars, just north of Sydney (tel. 1300 782 550). It is road registered in NSW, and has 8 throttle bodies on the engine (just sneaked this engine through in time) which is more authentic looking than the currently allowed (NSW) engines. You can still do work on the car, as it's a bit bare inside, no seals under the headlight covers, etc., and does NOT have air conditioning. IMHO the DRB is currently a better developed car for road use, but this RF40 could be reasonable value (I have only seen photos) for you at $98,000.
Cheers,
Dalton

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tim, lets think about this logically.
IMHO very few if any replica's are built entirely by the individual, in my case the body/Chassis was built by DRB, the engine by Ford and Precision engine builders South Port, the wiring by an auto electrician, front end by Chevrolet, brakes by Harrop, upholstery and carpet by an upholsterer, Paint, by someone else, wheels by Simmons, Gear box by Porsche, etc etc.
Just like a builder who says he builds houses most of the house is contracted out to tradesman in their particular fields of expertise. Brickie, plasterer etc.

I say I was the individual constructor because I oversaw the build and was responsible for each step along the way. DRB were a huge help in the process as they should be.

Stuart can do the same and as long as everything complies to the applicable ADR's and he has each step signed off by an "approved" engineer the registering body, be it N.S.W or QLD are obliged to pass it.

P.S. I put the Ford GT stickers on;)

Back