New Shelby GT40's

Keith

That's interesting news "only 85 of each colour will be produced"

That's another 255 continuation replicated original copies then...

The bandwagon is sure getting loaded up.... Yeehaw! :cowboy:

But look at all the signature bling you get..... woohoo! :cowboy:
  • Shelby MSO and dash plaque
  • Carroll Shelby engraved door handles
  • Carroll Shelby etched left and right front head light covers
  • CS GT40 numbered plaque
  • CS GT40 side sill graphics
  • Carroll Shelby signature floor and sill mats
  • 85th Commemorative hood badge
  • 85th Special Edition decal

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's gonna take more than a few buckets like this to buy one of those cars..
cash-bucket.jpg

It will be another replica - agreed - but will be one with a pedigree. Now - what is the value of the pedigree?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
"...Shelby Distribution USA under license from Shelby Licensing and in partnership with Shelby Automobiles Inc..."

Why does it take 3 different legal entities (without mention of Superformance or Safir yet) for these lovely tribute vehicles to be produced?

If they're not any different (quantifiably- barring the bling list) than a normal SPF, this just seems to be milking it to me.

it is no different than taking a Kirkham cobra and putting a shelby nameplate on it, and that has been done pretty successfully. The GT40 is indeed a Superformance MK11 with Shelby badges. How much is that worth? who knows

They say it will be in the Registry. But if you ask Kopeck, I think you will here

" I DON"T THINK SO" I know I would'nt if I were in charge of the Registry. This would be a nice kick in the face to Shelby after he orders all theose GT40's and all of a sudden they will not be rcognized in the book. I really have changed my views about Shelby. I won't pay 2 cent for any signiture he gives.... and I have 2 Shelbys..go figure! I also have 2 of the leather bound Registries on order. I plan on auctioning 1 off and give the money to legal fees.
john IMHO

Smoke and mirrors.

If it wasn't made in the sixties, then it is a replica. It might be a real nice replica but a replica just the same. It doesn't belong in the registry with real Shelby's. I guess some people will pay up for the the name but it is what it is.

When you are at a car show and a father and son walk up with their eyes wide open and ask if it is real, what do you say?

Your answer will say a lot about your character and your ego.

that argument will go on forever . If it is a Shelby car ,then it is a real Shelby, not to be confused with an original. So if they ask if it is real , then it is, if it is a Shelby. If they ask if it is original , then the answer is no, unless it is a sixties car. As far as the registry goes, I have my Kirkham, the Shelby Daytona(SPF) and now the SPF MK11 all it in the new edition. I did not ask them to put them in, they asked me to send them the stats on the cars with pictures. It is what it is, and I can assure you my character is intact.

No offense intended. I have a Kirkham in the registry as well. I was speaking in very general terms. Chuck, I know you are a stand up guy.

Sorry for the inference.

I knew that Dean, I was just making a point on the nature of the Shelby issue. It comes down to semantics in most cases. If I am in the CAV when asked "the question" then I say what it is; a good replica of an original car. If I am in the SPF, I tell them it is a continuation series GT40 built in South Africa. Both are accurate, if not confusing to the general public.

I do not wish to offend anyone. As you know I love all Forties wheither originals (real) or not. But what is a continuation car? I know it started with SAFIR. And chassis number continuation. But its just an assocation with the original manufacturers? In other words a financial licensing arrangement?.
Does the SPF Shelby cars have exactly the same bodywork are the original Ford MKII's are hatch spitters mandatory. In Ron's link it says that you can order the Shelby cars that took the first three places in the deadheat finish photo 1966 Le Mans.
The third place car was a Holman and Moody entry! So this statement would have been incorrect the Gurney Grant Red with White stripes P1047 DNF so it would have been more accurate to read that these cars were the the Shelby entries for the 1966 Le Mans and their finishing positions. It would have been nice to see SPF doing a deal with Holman and Moody for a continuation of that car!!
Regards Allan

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
That old goat is a money grubing SOB. If the only GT40 left for sale on the planet was his I would buy a Corvette! Long live SAAC Clubs everywhere.

Back