New to the world of the SL-C

Hi there,

I'm new to the world of the SL-C and although I said hello up in the Introduction forum, this is my first post in the SL-C specific section.

I'm interested in taking on the build of a component car and have spent a fair amount of time surveying what's involved with some of the options from another manufacturer. Given some of their shortcomings. . although not insurmountable. . . I'm now drawn to the SL-C about which I know relatively little. My interest is in building a road-going exotic for semi-daily driving here in SoCal.

I've read everything on the RCR website in addition to other articles I came across and I'm going through the few build logs here, but I still have plenty of questions I need to resolve before I can pull the trigger on a build of any sort. With respect to the SLC, if one elects to purchase the "all stages" $43k option, one article suggests that engine, transmission and tires are all that are needed to complete a running car. Is that really the case barring small parts here and there? Everything else, fuel pump, etc. . . . its all there? What non-drivetrain parts AREN'T included that might not be immediately obvious to someone new to the SL-C world (mirrors, etc) ?

Also, best I can tell there are ~25 of these out in the world? Any in SoCal other than the curb-side special of dubious ownership recently listed in a seperate thread?

Cheers,

Ruth

Off the top of my head you'll need

-electrical
-fuel (pump,lines,regulator)
-engine
-transaxle
-tires (+upgraded rims - having owned both sets, you really need the upgraded CCW rims imho)
-exhaust

Plus a bunch of tools as you go along (e.g., round rod, right and left handed taps to make adjustable rod ends to hold the front clip up and make its height adjustable) and knick-knacks (e.g., weatherpacks for rear lighting)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ruth/ArtGirl,

as Alex mentioned..

engine
ecu and engine harness..including pedal module if ETC.
transaxle
clutch
flywheel
starter
fuel pumps
fuel lines
soft hose connections between radiator/engine and coolant tubes ..unless you buy the one piece stainless lines we offer.
tyres
seat belts/harnesses.

we offer multiple interior packages bare track trim,fiberglass, carbon fiber also two wing options and two tail options...plus track day cage and full race cage options.
We have actually shipped 52 SL-C's and have 5 in the shop right now with three more chasing along right behind them.
Hope this helps..

Last edited:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
ArtGirl,

as Alex mentioned..

engine
ecu and engine harness..including pesdal module if ETC.
transaxle
clutch
flywheel
starter
fuel pumps
fuel lines
soft hose connections between radiator/engine and coolant tubes ..unless you buy the one piece stainless lines we offer.
tyres
seat belts/harnesses.

we offer multiple interior packages bare track trim,fiberglass, carbon fiber also two wing options and two tail options...plus track day cage and full race cage options.
We have actually shipped 52 SL-C's and have 5 in the shop right now with three more chasing along right behind them.
Hope this helps..

Artgirl, welcome to the forum.

The SL-C is also very popular here in Australia.

If you can, I highly recommend a visit to Fran's workshop to inspect the quality and engineering of the kits in person. Plus you can get a personal overview of the build requirements, options available and inspect finished cars.

Hope to see you in an SL-C soon.

Welcome to the forum
I have been doing research on a complete turnkey GT40 build and when the time comes to begin I will have RCR do the build. If possible you should visit Fran and his shop just to get to know him, his crew and see his unbelievable shop and projects. Fran is an outstanding guy and builds a high quality car. You will have no worries if you decide to buy an SLC from RCR.

Ruth, A shop visit to RCR is a MUST!

Very impressive, Fran and crew will welcome you and you will have an opportunity to view several cars in process. We SL-C bunch are a cooperative and helpful sort, so fire away with any questions.

I'm also new to the SL-C universe and greatly appreciate the information provided by those that responded.

I have a few follow-on questions that may be of use to Artgirl as well.

Does the roof scoop feed air to the engine compartment or to the passenger compartment? I need to study the available pictures more closely so forgive me for asking, but it appears that the rear "wheel wells" are essentially open directly to the engine compartment. Am I wrong? Can the tires fling road debris into the engine compartment? Are there any heat issues in the engine compartment or does the design basically make this a non-issue.

I really think I need to check out the SL-C at SEMA. So many questions. . . . .

I need to study the available pictures more closely so forgive me for asking, but it appears that the rear "wheel wells" are essentially open directly to the engine compartment. Am I wrong? .

Sorry. . . found the answer to that in the Howard Jones build log pictures.

Guy's,

Roof scoop can feed either or both cockpit and engine compartment.
Simple to close off the rear wheel well area. RCR Australia is already doing this.
Very simple solution. I'm sort of copying the Aussie version of this, but a little (easier) different.

I'm also new to the SL-C universe and greatly appreciate the information provided by those that responded.

I have a few follow-on questions that may be of use to Artgirl as well.

Does the roof scoop feed air to the engine compartment or to the passenger compartment? I need to study the available pictures more closely so forgive me for asking, but it appears that the rear "wheel wells" are essentially open directly to the engine compartment. Am I wrong? Can the tires fling road debris into the engine compartment? Are there any heat issues in the engine compartment or does the design basically make this a non-issue.

I really think I need to check out the SL-C at SEMA. So many questions. . . . .

roof scoop feeds into cockpit but can be re-directed if you wanted to rig something up.

wheel wells are open by default but I think it would be a good idea to install some splash shields for street use - rocks pounding the engine/fuel tank/electrical/etc... usually is never a good idea ;)

Come on by.....

Am I welcome if I bring a drill to help out in some assemblies? :drunk:

I decided to get creative and made a mold from an old louvered closet door, found in neighbors trash, for the forward inner rear wheel arches. Mold done in a day (light as I only needed two parts). Parts took almost a full day allowing for cure time of the 'glass. Fun stuff to come up with your own "accessories". I was unaware that Fran had them
already. Anyway, sorry Fran! Made my own very similar to Craig W's. wink..

Really?

52 SLCs???
Awww, my car feels like such a proud Papa now! LOL

Inner fender liners available from RCR? Wow, you really got to keep you eyes open around here to get the latest stuff.

Any GOOD photos of the front liners available? It is unlikely I could use the rears but the fronts might work fine for me.

Any of yoooose new guys like to get a look at a car there are 3 in NorCal, weez MIGHT be willing to share with yoooose SoCal types....just send back some of the water we send down there :)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
And #53 was sold today.....

I will post some pics of the inners when I get a few spare mins...yet another reason for a new website...anyone????

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I agree...as I said trying to find a good webguy is the proverbial needle in a haystack...

I am only really looking to do new Superlitecars website....as the new Razor and Nemesis and all of the options we have developed for the SL-C deserve better airplay

Photo of the front Inner Fender Liners fitted.

Attachments

• DSC_7752 [1600x1200].jpg
    DSC_7752 [1600x1200].jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 378
Back