New type turbo

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Have any of you heard of this new turbo?. No oil lines or cooling lines, self contained oil and cooling system, no waste gate to mess with, just bolt on, sounds to good to be true. Not that a GT40 needs a turbo but for other projects I see many benefits.

If anyone has experience and would care to share please do.

AEROCHARGER | Technology

Variable-vane turbos have been around for a long time in diesel applications, and the engineer in me likes the simplicity of the dial-a-pressure setup for a wastegate system. As for the cooling/lubrication abilities of this turbo....

This exact manufacturer was discussed in detail on Porsche 944/951 forums. These turbos were too bulky to adapt for those applications, and no one could attest to lifespan of any sort on these. Think about how hot a normal journal-bearing turbo makes your engine oil..enough so you run oil coolers, 99% of the time. And think about the reputation that oil-cooled-only turbos have: Disposable. Now think about how well a self-lubricated turbo will do. I am picturing an egg on a pan with the stove turned up to 10.

There have been Oil-less turbos our for some time. They are all the rave on LS1tech. Supposedly they spool MUCH faster and have less maintenance. They variable veins has been in Porsche engines for a few years now. They still use BOV but yes they adjust PSI controlled by the ECU. BMW'S NEW M3 is supposed to have it's turbos made from thermoplastic in an attempt to save weight and heat. No one knows much about them but I have my doubts about reliability. Either way lots of tech going into FI options so the next few years should be interesting to say the least.

Plastic turbos coming soon from BMW? Mann+Hummel demonstrates high grade thermoplastic N54 turbocharger housing

This is a rather interesting development in the turbocharger market. Mann+Hummel worked with BMW over the past four years to develop a functioning prototype using an N54 turbocharger as the basis for a high grade thermoplastic turbocharger housing. The benefits of high grade plastics in cars are numerous but they are usually applied to body and chassis components and not actually to engine components where strength is at a premium.

Mann+Hummel claims these plastic housings reduce weight and help with emissions. *********** is not sure what the emissions benefit to the plastic housing actually is. The main difference is seemingly in the weight loss which then reduces the energy requirements to move the car. It's obvious why BMW would want this technology researched as the plastic material would help save weight and also likely costs as a plastic turbo will be cheaper than a high grade metal unit.

With BMW going for efficiency above all else we may start seeing plastic turbos at least in the economy models. It is doubtful a plastic housing would hold up to the rigors of a turbo M motor and then questions are raised as to how the material would fare under high heat conditions in a racetrack setting.

Head of development at Mann+Hummel Dr. Huurdeman had this to say, "The practices we have implemented successfully over the years for many plastic engine components were much harder to implement when replacing aluminium with thermoplastic PPS (polyphenylene sulphide) for turbocharger compressor housings. For example, the dynamic pressure loads at high compressor outlet temperatures entail very particular construction and material requirements."

If the plastic housing is able to deliver the durability and reliability BMW desires for a certain power level it will be no surprise to see it implemented. Plastic turbos coming soon? Sure looks like it.

cp9uj6z

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
For guys like me who have to make everything from scratch something like these would be wonderful, I hope to hear from someone who has used them. I too wonder about the internal self lubricant system. As you know plumbing is a nightmare on old style turbos.

I fussed for days over pipe routing on my old 951, and that's a car where the intake completely hides the turbo! Oil/water cooled turbos are God's punishment for engine-bay neat freaks.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I've shown these pictures before but here they are again, this was over a year project, SS headers, water to air inter cooler, water to oil cooler, electric water pump, just a ton of plumbing, all that goes through my mind is I could have used the stock headers and mounted the turbos below rather than up high and no oil lines or water cooled center sections to deal with.

Attachments

• 208 tt haltech 001.jpg
    208 tt haltech 001.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 460
  • 208 tt haltech 002.jpg
    208 tt haltech 002.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 439
hahahaha, we all have dreams . . . .

I can only imagine the dance Jack has been through with that 208 project. And understand why those "magic" turbos seem like a good idea.

I just have to ask myself why FORD uses a watercooled supercharger (never mind the intercooler and other stuff) when these "magic" toys are available.

We would all like some first hand evaluations, eh?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Variable-vane turbos have been around for a long time in diesel applications, and the engineer in me likes the simplicity of the dial-a-pressure setup for a wastegate system. As for the cooling/lubrication abilities of this turbo....

This exact manufacturer was discussed in detail on Porsche 944/951 forums. These turbos were too bulky to adapt for those applications, and no one could attest to lifespan of any sort on these. Think about how hot a normal journal-bearing turbo makes your engine oil..enough so you run oil coolers, 99% of the time. And think about the reputation that oil-cooled-only turbos have: Disposable. Now think about how well a self-lubricated turbo will do. I am picturing an egg on a pan with the stove turned up to 10.

You are referring to gas application right? My experience with turbos is with diesel and it was not oil temps one worried about. It was with exhaust gas temps. I ran a two nozzle water injection system that injected copious amounts of H2O into the post intercooler intake stream. I mean like small garden hose quantity. It was always more of a concern getting engine oil temps up vs trying to lower them. No engine oil cooler was used. Transmission oil temps... That was another story and a ran a very large remote cooler and fan for that. 600hp and 1300ft lbs tq will generate some heat. A very fun ride that would embarrass almost anything on the road up to 115mph where it ran out of gear. Pulled like a freight train so to speak.

2008052802.jpg

2008072307.jpg

2008072305.jpg

2008072300.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice looking truck Mike.. What's with all the junk in the trunk? No room to mount that stuff below so the bed could be used?

I love turbos myself.. With proper controls, you can cut engine displacements in half or more. With advances in variable valve timing and direct injection, it won't be long before 2L engines will be the "Performance" options on the dealer checklist.

I can't imagine how well my little 2013 V6 Mustang would perform with a pair of hairdryers like these attached.. You'd find me at the E85 fuel stop that is for sure...

Good stuff!!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'm using water ethanol injection just to cool the charge temp and bring my timing up, haven built the SS tank yet but found a 2 gallon plastic tank that fits pretty good till I do. The pump puts out 200 psi, heres a picture for a good laugh.

Mike is that a variable vane turbo? Have you ever heard of a turbo that has self contained oil supply? I hope I'm not the only one who's behind on this new stuff.

Attachments

• water injection 001.jpg
    water injection 001.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 383
Mike, yes, was talking about gas application. I've done work on diesels, but never to that extent! Very nice truck!

Back