Not sure if you are aware but there are further amendments in the pipeline to the IVA regs ...... it's available in Draft form now. Probably a good idea to have a read and keep your eye on what gets implemented.
There is no question that test stations are already getting tougher, particularly on tiny little things. Make sure you have proof that all the hoses on the car are suitable for purpose and are marked as such or make sure you have written proof. They can get very picky over braided brake lines.
Also make sure the rear fog light is wired in a manner to be compliant.
I'll keep a watch on your progress and tip you off if I see anything in your photo's that could be dodgy.
Thanks. I've already had to swap out the low pressure brake lines from the reservoirs as they were not supported with the correct documentation. If you would post a like to the new draft, that would help.
What a difference a warmer garage can make. Finally put the finishing touches to the footwells and test fitted the Pedal Box just to check I'm happy with everything. Steering column fits a treat and all's come good.
Next, get the HP and LP brake pipes and hoses in place and start looking at test fitting the engine.
Just about wrapped up all of the cabin work now. Just finalising the final Pedal Box position and connecting up both the hard and soft brake lines.
The dash is well under way and excepting the switches and warning lights, the final fit for that and provision of mounting holes should round off what is forecast to be a warm weekend in southeast England.
Its been a few months but progress has been good. Things are now being finished and trimmed for the last time.
Test fitted the engine Today prior to fabricating the exhaust. What better platform than your own engine in situ within the confines of the final chassis and body. Hope to finish it within 2 weeks, given a fair tail wind and no major issues.
Then test fit the Audi 01x ( a great 6 speed box), finalise the driveshafts with custom Ford to Audi drive shaft adapters and install the right hand gear stick / cable mechanism.
Silencers / Mufflers courtesy of SGT (Southern GT), the rest by yours truly.
Shooting for the almost unique UK SVA for end of 2018 ;-)
It’s been almost 3 months but stacks of work achieved. Have lowered the engine by 2 inches, fitted most of the fuel and oil ancillaries and just about done on my home made 1.75” exhaust. Will never be the prettiest exhaust but a sense of pride in having got it almost done !. Lots of welds to finish, grinding to make good and a touch here and there but she is coming on leaps and bounds. A really good run in to Xmas should see the 5 years of work come together for a crack at the UK IVA.
Fitted to the car again Today along with the exhaust gaskets and torqued right up so I knew they were in the right place. Then had the job of getting the 4 into 1's put on at the back which is a task the first time as the pipes don't sit exactly in perfect position so its a little push and shove (the longer pipes obviously bend a little so easier than the shorter ones).
Once the 4 into 1's were on and in position I took the heavy blow lamp to all the major bends so with the pipes that were a little off under the most stress I hope they have settled a bit so when I pop off the 4 into 1's they "should" be better aligned as the plan was to soften the metal so much that they would bend and give a little where necessary.
All in all, well pleased with the results and that's another major job done. Will set about the 4 into 1's to the silencers after I have test fitted the rear clip so I can be sure to get the angle just right.
Thanks bud. Been keeping an eye on your build. Great progress. I’ve put my IVA date back until May next year as I won’t finish by December. Next job on my list is to install the electrics. Hope to fire the engine up sometime in Jan / Feb. If i’ve Actually messed up my engine build you will probably hear the bang from there. ;-(
Have been looking at the 4 into 1’s on the exhaust and how to mate to the silencers. Decided on “V” clamps after advice from other Forte builders in the UK (hadn’t actually seen the before. ;-). Welded up to the 4 into 1’s and applied the ceramic coating i’l going to use. Have to cure in three steps so looking forward to giving that a go Tomorrow.
Not a great deal achieved during December as I had the good fortune to spend most of it in Thailand. Actually managed a few brief hours on the Dashboard prior to the New Years Eve celebrations. Just a few more switches to place and it should be good to go. ;-)
Finally the good weather seems to have arrived and it’s now ok in the garage. Took the dust cover off the Forte and have been busy at work on the dash. With quite a few switches on the wheel, not too many needed on the dashboard. Next job to install the wiring loom and get ready to test fire the engine slotted for early April. Planning to IVA around July / August if all goes to plan. ;-)
Having taken ages to make the exhausts myself, it’s also taken time to choose a VHT coating I could do myself. Having spent Today slowly coating the pipes and collectors in a silica based ceramic coating, built a modest baking oven ( plywood. Fully enclosed box ) to allow for the multi step and temp curing process. Am doing in two batches and have got off to a good start. Up to 6 kilo watts of heat available and with an industrial temp meter to keep a check on progress, hope to have the pipes and collectors nailed by Tomorrow. Silencers will come later.