Nicks Forte Scratch Build

Udo

GT40s Supporter
Hi Nick, this sounds really like a lot of work, but the results looks very nice. Does the coat also close smaller surface imperfections, as they occur around the weld seams?

Yep, it was a lot of work. If I did it again or if I have to touch up a pipe at some point, I would just have a 2 kilo watt heat gun blow down the pipe in isolation for 30 mins. That seems to cook them up very well.

As for tiny imperfections, it seems to close them but I would't bank on that as a solution.

Managed to test fit the offside sill Today and also installed the GT Racing gear shift translator onto the new shaft on the 01x. Will cut to length when i’m done but hope to complete the gearshift cable install Tomorrow. Also bolted on the inboard Audi to Ford CV joint adapters.

Attachments

Actually, the job wasn't quite ticked off. when I tried to tune it a bit it was a little stiff up and down the gate but not across. Looking at the anchor point on the gearbox and thinking things through it didn't take long to work out why I was having a little trouble (resistance in the change) when going 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6 and visa versa. Long story short, made a small saddle to sit mid gearbox and provide a much better anchor point for when the translator threaded bar was only being used as a datum on which to anchor a push / pull point. (hope this makes sense). The previous off centre shorter mount position pic ( as suggested by the supplier along with other pre-existing mount points on the box, non optimum ) also included. Now its smooth as silk !

Attachments

A little progress Today. For the 1st time i’m having a serious look at the body alignment. With the sills loosly in place and the Spyder also not bolted down, just trying the door fits. Have to mod the SGT door mounts Tomorrow as this is a Forte chassis but with a few mm here and there, looks like we are still on schedule for end of April engine start. (Dependant On knowing where exactly the exhausts need to exit the car so I can complete their build). As I live in a residential area, can’t possibly start her without exhaust pipes on.

Attachments