Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

NickD

Supporter
Been rather slow recently, both parents now quite ill (mum terminal) so a few hours on my car are the only chance I get to chill (if that's even possible).

Anyway, I got a few hours this weekend to complete a few simple jobs, also ordered some blingy bits - nothing like a bit of retail therapy to bring a smile.

Concentrated of tidying up the front end a bit by mounting the Clutch and Dual Brake Reservoir, added my shiny wash bottle and test fitted the steering rack.

With the addition of some additional parts such as Battery, Bracket, Quick Release mechanism and Steering Wheel I've plenty to occupy me when the next opportunity arises or I need to grab a beer and go somewhere quiet ;-)

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_3757.jpg
    IMG_3757.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 900

NickD

Supporter
The ND40

Managed to get a final 3 hours of work in Today between visit to the parents and a late Sunday afternoon beer.

Andrew (Rockhoppers on this Forum) and I have modified the back end of our GT- Forte's, not for performance but the look.

Have Today completed the Near Side rear and should with the benefit of my new template, complete the offside by the end of the week.

If I can complete the paneling by mid November, it will finally put to rest one of of the most pains taking jobs (and a job I massively underestimated) to rest.

Finally, I really do feel like progress is being made and I can see the fruits of the hours of Labour and just sitting with a beer now and again thinking things through, the times with beer in hand just sitting and staring seems unproductive at the time but it helps prevents the real howling mistakes. :thumbsup:

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,037

NickD

Supporter
What with all the family medical probs at the moment, Managed to get a couple of hours this weekend to further the rear paneling, its the only brain downtime I can get at the moment when I can really chill. I've gone for a heavy very Black and Matt stonechip paint that covers really well and has almost no reflective sheen.

Decided to RivNut all the rearward panels as I'm sure they will get chipped from time to time so this will ease the task of re-painting or powder coating at a later time.

I've gone M5 but will probably change from the cap head to a smaller style as these are a little too proud of the panels for my taste.

The contrast of Matt with the Stainless looks better than I had hoped and also masks the panel scratches I had on the bare ally panels.

Should have all the rear panels completed by the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 878

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Very nice work sir.
As you say, sitting & mulling it over ( beer helps ) is a trait that not all appreciate.
What is your qualified opinion of the chassis please ?

What with all the family medical probs at the moment, Managed to get a couple of hours this weekend to further the rear paneling, its the only brain downtime I can get at the moment when I can really chill. I've gone for a heavy very Black and Matt stonechip paint that covers really well and has almost no reflective sheen.

Decided to RivNut all the rearward panels as I'm sure they will get chipped from time to time so this will ease the task of re-painting or powder coating at a later time.

I've gone M5 but will probably change from the cap head to a smaller style as these are a little too proud of the panels for my taste.

The contrast of Matt with the Stainless looks better than I had hoped and also masks the panel scratches I had on the bare ally panels.

Should have all the rear panels completed by the weekend.

Nick,

looking good and keep up the good work. Please though, may I offer a word of caution regarding the use of Rivnuts in "exposed to the elements "panelling. With the amounts of spray and water that this area could be exposed to, please make sure, that as you are using stainless bolts to hold the panels in place, that you really apply LOTS of anti seize grease to the threads of the Rnuts and bolts. As sure as "eggs is eggs" you will have problems long term with rust/thread galling and loosening/spinning Rnuts. Do also make sure that you always use the knurled type Rnuts.

NickD

Supporter
Very nice work sir.
As you say, sitting & mulling it over ( beer helps ) is a trait that not all appreciate.
What is your qualified opinion of the chassis please ?

Andrew,

I only have real knowledge of the GT-Forte Chassis. I Built mine from the Flat Pack kit they have available. In all, I'm very pleased with the way its turned out and the support documentation supplied. I am part of a group of some 8 - 10 GT-Forte builders, some from flat pack and some who purchased the chassis pre-made. To my knowledge I am not aware of any issues Chassis wise from anyone in our group. Further to this, I'm not really in a position to add as my engineering bias is electronics / computers.

Nick D.

NickD

Supporter
Hi Everyone,

Those of you local to the UK and building Forte's mostly, are already aware my Mother passed recently after a long cancer battle. So following two weeks of massive ups and downs, things are finally getting back to some form of normality.

Its been 5 weeks since I even ventured into my garage but will soon dust things off and continue the build.

One thing is clear, my car will have a name, named after a much loved mum who recently saw my build work for the first time, her words "didn't know you had it in you son".

That was enough to ensure I'll never give up until its on the road and has a small nameplate welded on !

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 841

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Sincere condolences Nick. My parents, particularly my father, took a keen interest in my 40 build. Regretfully he passed away some years back and he will never see it once it is finished.

NickD

Supporter
Sincere condolences Nick. My parents, particularly my father, took a keen interest in my 40 build. Regretfully he passed away some years back and he will never see it once it is finished.

Thanks Brian,

Mum was only 77, dad will be 93 in less than a month. He is desperate to see it finished.

I'm actually going to email some of the local 40 builders here in the UK shortly so see if anyone would at least let him sit passenger side for a few moments or best of all, passenger side for a short ride.

He used to own a Lotus Europa, JPS special, number 72, built in 1972. Would make his year. He is really frail now so just seeing and hearing would probably do it for him.

Anyone in the Southeast want to make an old navy man happy, let me know.

Nick.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So sorry Nick... My prayers go out to you and your family....

NickD

Supporter
Firstly,

A big thanks to everyone for the best wishes and condolences following my Mothers recent passing - a very tough time indeed. Best Wishes for the Xmas and New Year to you all and your and families.

Secondly,
Just received a set of Wilwood MC4 rear mechanical Hand/Park brake calipers along with other odds and sods which should keep me busy for a few hours at least.

2016 will be a year where I finally fit and build stuff faster than I buy a store it !

Best Wishes to all, Pics to follow.

Nick & Yisa.:thumbsup:

NickD

Supporter
Have spent a a good few hours experimenting with paneling at the rear of my Forte. Having decided to flute the rear as opposed to the original Forte design, have had to add the additional steel and decide on the paneling style and how best to finish it so its pleasing on the eye if ever the rear clam-shell is raised.

Probably going to revert to a simple stainless M5 as opposed to the proud Socket Head, I'm pleased with the result. The Stainless on Matt Black gives a very nice contrast and geometry to the panels.

Should have the entire engine bay and rear panels completed by Sunday given a fair wind.

Lastly, Best Wishes for New years and wishing everyone a prosperous 2016.

Nick & Yisa.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 820
  • IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 809

NickD

Supporter
Progression of the ND40

Spent quite a few hours Today putting some of the final touches to the rear end and engine bay paneling. Will swap allot of the proud M5 socket heads to a lower profile as we move forward but I'm pleased with the look and fit in general.

The front end was paneled months ago but family probs slowed this section down so a big sigh of relief that another major hurdle is almost put to bed.

Most of the next stage's of build, I already have in box's just waiting for my time so less strain on the wallet, especially this time of year.

Regards.

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 790

NickD

Supporter
Its been a while.

I've been low key for a few months as some of you know following Mum's passing. Unfortunately, Father simply gave up after that and passed only 2 1/2 months after. Long story short, had to wait for some far flung members of the family to finish trips and make arrangements to get back home. Service and Cremation is this Friday.

Will certainly be looking to push on and progress as the next few months progress.

Thanks everyone, especially the GT-Forte group for the support.

Nick D.

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 565
Back