Nicks Forte Scratch Build - to Stunning Mk1 GTD

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nick, Sorry for your great loss. Just remember all the good times you had together. Sincere condolences.
Regards Brian

NickD

Supporter
Hi Everyone, And thanks for all the kind wishes during the recent difficult times.

Looking to pickup the build again with a vengeance so am just finalising my orders for my remaining front and rear clams, stunning ceramic coated exhausts and a set of boots. I'm sticking with 15" rims shod with 8" and 10" Avons.

Pics to follow.

Planning to get her on the road by December 2017 which I think is doable

Nick.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Nick, my sincere condolences, but glad to see that you are moving forward. The picture of your parents is lovely, they picture seems to say that they were a perfect couple, and I hope that you can complete your car while taking heart from the thought that it will be a tribute to them.
Dave

NickD

Supporter
Hi everyone,

Been some time since my last post given all the family stuff to sort out. Received my wheels tyres courtesy of Southern GT yesterday and had a real good look over their chassis. Thinking of ditching my Forte build and switching chassis to an SGT (as many of my friends are doing), Streets ahead of anything else available in the UK in my opinion as an ex aerospace engineer, more expensive I agree but the build quality is stunning. Pics to follow. ;-)

Nick D.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Nick,

That is a major departure... what made you go that route? Is it chassis and body or just chassis? Can you reuse any parts that you used already?

Renato

Nick, in reality that would be the best decision you could make, as continuing to try to get IVA on your existing project will only frustrate you to give up altogether. SouthernGT is the only UK manufacturer worthy of considering, and I would fully support your decision to change direction now. Best of luck, Frank

Hi Nick
Don't agree. Re-read your first post and stick to it. You can always build a southern gt after you've completed what you started.
Regards
Stephen

NickD

Supporter
Hi Stephan,

Have actually decided to stay with the core Chassis and the basic suspension components after much consideration. Still going to use the Audi 01x as the transaxle. The rest of the car is essentially SGT. Having purchased or aquired almost every component I need, Its time to make the most of the remaining summer and get building. Still planning to get the car on the road for the end of 2017 as Morten and I are pushing each other to get there first.

If I do decide to follow this with a fresh build from the ground up, it will be Southern all the way. (actually off there in 4 hours to pick up some more bits and bobs).

Nick.

NickD

Supporter
Hi Everyone,

Been very quite for a few months now but have been busying around on small things, nothing to serious. Took delivery of an early xmas prezzy from the missus Today in the form of the Summit Raptor IVA approved wireless steering wheel attachment.

Looks relatively easy to splice the control unit into my Southern GT wiring loom.

Not to everyone's taste I know but it greatly simplifies switches on my dashboard. Always wanted to honour the shape of the original while lifting the mechanics and electrics to a more modern era where possible.

More pics to follow around the new year.

Attachments

• sumraptor-pro.jpeg
    sumraptor-pro.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 647
Hi Nick,

Like you I am paying homage to the original, no plastic toggle switches for me. Have spent the summer running cables and the winter job is to complete the dashboard.

Perhaps we need a catch up, cuppa and kick each others butts to make progress, not fitted those pipes you brought round yet, see what i mean?

Ant

NickD

Supporter
Hi Nick,

Like you I am paying homage to the original, no plastic toggle switches for me. Have spent the summer running cables and the winter job is to complete the dashboard.

Perhaps we need a catch up, cuppa and kick each others butts to make progress, not fitted those pipes you brought round yet, see what i mean?

Ant

Wow, that is slow progress. As you can probably guess, neither have I. I have slowly been accumulating virtually everything I need though so when I do kick on, there will be so much I can do. ;-)

NickD

Supporter
Finally back in the garage after downing tools for. A year following Mum and Dads passing late 15 and early 16. So glad to be to my project.

Have been Carbon skinning a lot of the panels to give a different look, the bulk at the rear but a couple up front, Got them test fitted this Morning and also got the battery test fitted.

Looking for lots more progress in the months ahead.

Nick. D

Attachments

• IMG_6167.jpg
    IMG_6167.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 853

NickD

Supporter
I've finally finished Carbon Skinning all the engine bay panels and starting to fit them. I'm reasonably pleased with the finish although they are not perfect, its certainly better than the scratched panels I started with and also better that the matt black I originally painted them.

Should have my Southern GT steering column in place by next weekend along with a test fit of the dashboard

Attachments

• IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_6169.jpg
    IMG_6169.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 778

NickD

Supporter
Have finally spent some time in the garage and have most of the Carbon Skinned engine bay panels positioned for bolting into position.

If I Knew then what I know now, would I do it again or just get it all powder coated, don't really know. Its been a pain at times but it does look good and I'm reasonably pleased with the finish. Anyway, its kinda unique so I'm happy.

Going to get all the services (water pipes, air com and wiring loom) into the back end in the next 4 weeks so I can test fit the engine and gearbox.

Looking to at least get the engine fired up by years end leaving the nest year to get her prepped and ready for the UK IVA process.

Nick.

Attachments

• IMG_6180.jpg
    IMG_6180.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_6181.jpg
    IMG_6181.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_6182.jpg
    IMG_6182.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 715

NickD

Supporter
Fantastic day out Today visiting Jayson who is also doing a Forte, Mate turned up with an old Tornado based 40, colour scheme happened to match my wife's Jacket, A rare sunny English day with smiles abound.

Happy Days !

Attachments

• IMG_6248.jpg
    IMG_6248.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 818
Back