None DOT Taillights!

While we were driving around Monterey Jack happened to notice one of my taillights was out. So when I got a chance I thought I would pop in a new bulb. That ended up to be more difficult than expected.

To start with the two screws go into nuts on the back side of the taillight that are not held in place so the screws just go round and around. That wasn't to bad until I figured out I would have to remove the large plastic cap on the inside of the fender well that is glued in place with a large ring of silicon goo.

After finally getting the one side apart I ran down to get a replacement bulb and this is where I lucked out and bought a pair of LED replacements. Luck in that even though the side I was working on looked OK it wasn't until I pulled the other side apart that I saw the damage caused by the original stock bulb.

As you can see from the pictures the original bulb cause major damage to the lens itself and also to the reflector melting both to some extent but the lens almost to the point where it needed to be replaced immediately. At some point in the near future, like when I get home I'll be looking for new taillights.

If anyone knows of a quality light that would be a direct replacement please let me know. I would also be nice to find one with an integrated backup light. The large white plastic tub is being used to hold everything in place while some new goo was drying.

I didn't replace the upper turn single light because I didn't know if I would have to replace the flasher unit. Old style flashers need the resistive load of a bulb to work. LED's require an electronic unit. That will happen when the taillights get replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_9906.jpg
    IMG_9906.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_9904.jpg
    IMG_9904.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_9903.jpg
    IMG_9903.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_9911-001.jpg
    IMG_9911-001.jpg