Nose flew off

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Went for a drive this morning and the nose flew off at about 80mph. Fortunately no one was behind me or coming the other way. Fiberglass damage is minimal (glad I haven't painted it yet), but I'm going to need two new headlight covers, a high beam, and one of the aerolatches broke. Apparently the quik-latches that I used on the front of the nose are not sufficient.:sad:

Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Not much damage to the nose?? Did it fly in air and come down like a kite in the grass. Luck plays a major role at times - can't bank on it though.

I bolt mine to the front splitter in front of the tire, attach it with the aero catches and bolt it through the vertical aluminum in front of the radiator through the nose panel along side of it. Makes it more secure and still only takes five minutes to take the nose off.
Make a break in the wires to the headlights and put in a weather pack to make the wiring disconnect easy.

That's really weird that even happened. At 80 mph there should have been some pretty good down force starting to push down on the nose. Hmmm makes me think the air in through the nose to the rad and brake ducts is much more then I would have ever thought ? Im thinking it might be pressuring up ? Thank you for sharing that info with us I will have to keep and eye on that once I'm up and running.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Michael - Thanks! Sent you a PM.

Damage is mostly scratches. There is a crack at the rear lip in the middle of the windshield, but too small to get a picture of. Where the latches mount on the side, the pins pulled through. It must have landed on the passenger headlight cover, because it was totally smashed.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Not much damage to the nose?? Did it fly in air and come down like a kite in the grass. Luck plays a major role at times - can't bank on it though.

It was amazing how fast it happened. There was a bang, and it was gone. Took me a second to even realize what happened. Flew cleanly over the top of the car.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Thanks Pete. Did the quick latch pin pull up through the splitter? Was the pin mounted to the splitter with larger washers to distribute the load? Or did the pins break? Or did it somehow just disconnect?

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Interesting system, but not much there to visually insure it is secure or functioning properly. First time I've seen this type.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Glad all is OK too. I didn't come up with this idea, but I really like it. The nose is secure and it can be rotated open 90 degrees.

IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_7407.jpg

Holy smokes! glad you and everyone else is ok. Amazing the front clam is still in one piece. Proves the old saying, I'd rather be lucky than good!

Back