O1E 2nd gear syncro

Question for the transmission guys that roam the forum.

I have an O1E in my 40.
Today I gave it a squirt in 2nd then had trouble getting out of gear.
After a few tugs it released but would not go into 2nd or 1st so I drove back to the shop in 3rd and 4th.

Checked it out and pulled the box, stripped it down and found 2nd gear syncro has got hot and had welded itself to its mating part which is 1st-2nd and reverse selector hub sleeve.
Reverse is a gear around the sleeve.

The sleeve looks good ,minor marks that will clean off, the syncro has no grooves on the friction surface, has been hot, the back side is not discolored, detent spring is good.
Syncro fork is excellent no wear on either side, I will check end float on assembly but had done that when I put the diff in and it was good then 6000km ago.

I have done track work the box will run at around 90-100 deg C, it has seen 130 on one occasion.

I am thinking maybe its getting to hot with the track work it ran for 6hrs flat out ,I have done about 300km since on the road.
My wife has a habit of coming back to 2nd a bit early at the track so I am wondering if its making it overheat the ring and has taken till know to become a problem.

Or is there an inherent issue with oil supply.
Or have you seen this before.

Jim

1-2 synchro problems are fairly common with these gearboxes, but also clutch and shifter issues can cause the synchros to fail quickly...

Audi has an upgrade kit which I offer that has improved 1-2 synchros and shift sleeve.

Ditto what Scott said. Check to see if the collar slides smoothly on the hub. Warm it up and use some welding gloves to repeat the test. Almost every trans I dig into has a sticky 1-2 collar.

If the 1-2 collar is smooth on the surface opposite the reverse gear teeth, it's the older part that's known to stick. The current revision has ribs on it.

Here's what the new one looks like, you'll see the ribs I'm talking about.

I ordered parts from Scott over the weekend.
I tossed the spare box in on sunday afternoon to get it mobile.

My sleeve is smooth.
I also thought my syncro had got hot but it was the composite material.

Jim

Back