Octane track day goodwood yesterday

Just got back from this. Usual set up. 105db 25 mostly classic cars, 5 cars on 15 minutes at a time. Maximum wait 15 mins tops. 3 GT40's , one couldn't get through the noise check and went straight home which was a great shame. I repacked my exhaust and just got through '' I'll let you off the popping and banging''. Very lucky with the weather - dry all day just cold. The local Marriott hotel is now owned again by Goodwood and two of us got excellent bed and breakfast for £50 each. It was nice to have a swim at the end of the day. I drove down from Burnley - about a 500 mile round trip and the car ran well until the end of the day when we had to push start for the last session - nothing a new battery didn't sort out. Martin Gough threw my loose carpet out the car in a temper and forgot to retrieve it - wasn't there the next day so my car is now needing new carpet (and a fan, a gearbox, battery box, DVD player, new shocks etc etc etc) I took my young nephew to his first track day and his first ever drive in a GT40 was straight on the track!!! The only mishap was a very nice newly restored racing E -type which was a customers 50th birthday present to himself. The restorer was driving the customer around and came off after Lavant corner hitting the tyre wall straight on - the car was 3 foot shorter afterwards. All in all great a way to finish the year - at least I know what jobs need doing over winter. Bring on the Isle of Man - I'm determined not to finish last again this time. PS what about a GT40 track day in 2009? I can't make the AGM but someone bring it up (again) please.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Glad you enjoyed the day John. You were going really well in the last session with Martin shouting in your ear! The engine tweeks are working well although with 105db it is too quiet for my taste. Roll on IOM 2009 when we can make some noise. Des Finnan was also running and going very well in his Gulf livery car with extra add on silencers to keep the noise below the limit.
The pic attached is of Nigel Hulme's SPF which was very quick with Mark Hales at the wheel doing some oversteer moments at the chicane. I would have taken more pics but it was freezing outside the bar.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• NH SPF GoodwoodW.jpg
    NH SPF GoodwoodW.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 383

MWGT40

Supporter
John

Sounds like a great day. I'm looking forward to another Manx Classic myself - let's hope the weather is as good as it was last year.

Cheers, Martin

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Just had the Octane mag through the door, and there's loads of GT40 stuff, incl a 12 page spread on mostly Nigel Hume's Superformance 40, but also touches on the originals, + a rapport from the Octane trackday and a few well knowns faces from 'oop' north! No chekkered underpants in sight, which was a tad dissapointing, John! Your car looks fantastic, though.

I was there, I was there, and had a really great time even though I only set foot in a Mini Cooper as all the 40's broke before I got chance to hitch a ride... is it me?

Back