odd noise from facet pump

Could be that the filter is blocked !! Does fuel flow when fuel line from pump is undone?

How old is pump ? If you tap pump does it change sound ? Do you have a good earth?

Do you just have the one pump for both tanks.

Very difficult for any of us to really know answer without a little more information.

Pat

Supporter
Also check your fuel inlet from your tank. If the fuel cell foam has degraded, it may be clogging it.

Facets are a gravity pump.
It must be below the tank as they don't self bleed.

So the noise ? not a lot of description.

Maybe cavitation, if its mounted up on the top of the rear pontoons its to high.

jim

Mike Pass

Supporter
Remove the pipe at the carb connection and put it into a large container. Run the pump for a certain time and then check how much fuel has been pumped. Calculate the rate of flow from the volume and the time taken to see if it is in the correct range for your setup. Also if you have an air lock in the system this should allow it to escape. You will know from your rate of flow with and without the filter what is going on.
Cheers
Mike

i checked the filter and it was clean, i removed the pipe to the carb and i see the the pump is not pumping enough fuel few drops and thats it.
the pump is higher than the tank , but it was running like that since the beginning .
its mounted on the same place that Tornado recommended.
ill try to post a video of the problem maybe that will help.

If you have no fuel in the carby the accelerator pumps wont work.
Use aero start or a little fuel down the carby , see if it starts.
If it does that proves a point you are out off fuel.

If its a facet pump (square in shape) it has an electro magnet ,that is what goes back and forth and pumps the fuel.
When you turn it off the ball pump sits on a seat, I would say the old one sealed well and was acting as a check valve and holding the fuel up in the line.

Use a clear hose and hook it to the pump outlet, suck on it to get the fuel up to the pump.
Hook it back up then see if it works.

If its the pump im thinking of they push , they don't suck.

Instead of a video of your pump noise why don't you describe it to us.
If the pump noise is a fast tapping sound its out of fuel and wants priming.
Do what I said above then let us know.

Jim

Mike Pass

Supporter
If the pump worked previously then the issue is with the pump itself or in the pipe work between the tank and the pump. The pump can be tested off the car with a couple of lengths of pipe connected to a filled container of fuel and pumping into an empty one.
Once you are sure the pump is OK then check that the fuel can get from the tank to the pump. Quite a lot of tanks contain some kind of material such as explosafe or foam which can block the pickup from the tank. You can check the flow from the tank using a suction device or a long length of pipe filled with fuel to act as a syphon. Clear pipe will allow you to see if you have fuel or air in the system.
Cheers
Mike

Chuck it in the bin as its shot, I have had brand new ones last a half an hr and others last a life time, its a raffle with them I'm afraid, your better off spending a couple of bob extra and fitting a Holley blue or such like.
john

i did check the pump its working ok! so i ended up bleeding all fuel lines ,i added more fuel and its working now , i don't know why but its working.
thanks everyone for the help.
Abdul

Back