Oil Pan for RF, Wet Sump

Charlie M

Supporter
What are the choices for wet sump oil pans to fit in a RF? The engine I'm rebuilding came out of an Explorer. The cast aluminum oil pan that came with it looks deep (maybe it's not, I don't know). I'll be adding a 347 stroker kit if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,
Any stock Ford oil pan with a front sump will be fine. If you decide to buy an Aviad, Canton or a Armondo, make sure that the sump measures no more than 10 inches front to back. There is a cross member there behind the sump and if it is over ten inches it won't fit.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ps. I have an Aviad but I really like the Armondo..I put one on John Schnieders car.

Charlie M

Supporter
Hersh,

The Explorer pan is a rear sump so I guess that won't work. I'll check out the Armondo. Do you have a part number for the Armondo pan and pickup?

Thanks,
Charlie

Hershal I hope you meant to say 10 1/2 inches. According to my drawing of my pan from Moroso's site(part number 20503) from the front edge of the seal lip to the aft edge of the pan its 10 1/2 inches.I just came in from my shop and measured it and it is 10 1/2 inches plus another 1/2 for the drain plug, which could be removed and relocated or am I in trouble and need to find another pan ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Attachments

• 65035-20503_draw2.jpg
    65035-20503_draw2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 259
Charlie,
I believe we used the Part NO# 401 Armondo pan.
If you want, ask Armondo if you can have the baffle gate box, inside the sump, turned 45 degrees. This makes it hold more oil on the pickup in a long sweeper. They call it a Diamond box I believe.

Dan,
I believe you are safe. My pan measures 10" front to back of the sump. I have 1" clearance from the cross member to the back of the sump.

Nothing like splitting hairs here Hersh and I have less and less of them to split. LOL Thanks, Dan

I used Hershal's directions and went with Armando. Real nice pan (in my opinion) and the fit was perfect.

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have a picture of Armando's #401 pan. I didn't see one on his website.

If I use a T-sump pan will I have a problem with the width? What's the maximum width that will fit between the frame rails?

Charlie

And another picture. I need to read what I have typed before I send.

Attachments

• 65549-DSC01433.JPG
    65549-DSC01433.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 302

Ron Earp

Admin
Looks just like the Canton pan which is cheaper. Both are made from modified stock pans and look to be the same internally and externally.

Ron

Back