Oil Separator/PCV system

I had crankcase pressure issues in my Ferrari 250 GTO replica that has an LS3 motor in it. The symptom was oil leaking from various bottom end seals. I put a M/E Wagner dual flow adjustable PCV in and after getting it dialed in, no more excessive crankcase pressure. A lot of Cobra guys use the Wagner PCV in combination with an oil separator. I had put extensive baffling in the valve cover so I didn't have an issue with oil going up the PCV on my GTO. The Wagner PCV ( http://mewagner.com/ ) is pricey but worth it from my experience.

With the intention of running valve cover to separator, then to vacuum on intake manifold.
On both my race cars I have this system, plumbed in as described. It can be any cannister with two connections on top and a drain valve below, bought for as cheap at $20 on ebay.

On both my race cars I have this system, plumbed in as described. It can be any cannister with two connections on top and a drain valve below, bought for as cheap at $20 on ebay.

Nice to know, would rather not spend $200 on essentially a catch can where I can avoid it! ;)
If it was the only way I was tempted to stick a filter on each cover and see how it went.

Why not convert to a permanent dynamic drain system, dont have to remember to drain that tiny container then. That assumes the engine has been built properly and has low leak down numbers.

Why not convert to a permanent dynamic drain system, dont have to remember to drain that tiny container then. That assumes the engine has been built properly and has low leak down numbers.

so you mean a hose going to the floor? Haha.
I’m hoping it won’t have much blow by that’s for sure!

Agree with the above, especially the price. I wouldn't spend over $40. On my 489hp LS1 vette, I would routinely put 2-3 oz of oil into my catch can during a track driving session. Beats all that oil going into the intake as designed by the GM PCV system! The problem isn't blow-by, it's oil sitting up in the heads and then blowing out the PCV.

Agree with the above, especially the price. I wouldn't spend over $40. On my 489hp LS1 vette, I would routinely put 2-3 oz of oil into my catch can during a track driving session. Beats all that oil going into the intake as designed by the GM PCV system! The problem isn't blow-by, it's oil sitting up in the heads and then blowing out the PCV.
No, your problems are that the breather hoses are in the wrong location and you are not providing a means for the oil in the catch tank/s to return to the pan while operating the car.

No, your problems are that the breather hoses are in the wrong location and you are not providing a means for the oil in the catch tank/s to return to the pan while operating the car.
Using the factory breather locations, but I'm open to your fix. Yes you do have the option of running a line back to your oil pan, but since mine is a track-only issue with high-g cornering at high RPM I don't need it. And I like to monitor what is happening from a volume standpoint.

Back