One for the pilots in the group

Unbelievable, I hope when it's done it will go on the fly-in circuit. Hope Bally does well with the movie industry. Beats an RC any day.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
For you pilots, this beautiful thing has recently landed in California. It was built mostly as new, in New Zeland, using some parts from a Canadian hulk.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac"]De Havilland Mosquito Display - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac"]► 3:00► 3:00[/ame]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnOlaFGac‎

I'll have to plan a road trip to see this one, that would be worth a pilgrimage!

If they keep flying it like that, it won't last too long:(

Last edited:

Keith

It was built to fly like that. Hugely versatile aircraft and I think it was built in New Zealand using spare parts from Canadian trees! :laugh:

They had a large facility in Australia during WWII and many Mozzies were built there and shipped back to Europe.

Probably the very first true multi-role aircraft ever built and it did everything well without compromise. Speed was it's forte. One of the fastest of that war if not THE fastest.

But why oh why don't we ever keep any examples flying? The UK had a huge aircraft industry into the 1960's when it was systematically destroyed by a succession of politicians until all that iwas left was absorbed into what is now BAe Systems. Almost everyone it seems (except the actual workers) took great delight in smashing up the last examples and crushing the jigs and spares.

Just why the fuck do we do that eh?

But long live that particular Wooden Wonder.

Edit: It's method of construction was futuristic too. Fuselage parts were hot moulded with multi layers of Gaboon (or whatever) stapled over the mould, glued, vacuum bagged and baked in giant autoclaves for up to 36 hours. Hugely strong and light.

Then adopted by Formula 1 40 years LATER.

Tim, At 240hp, that little plane must move along, although it looks a little claustrophobic to pilot. 20,000 hours to build, that's over 9.6 years of 40 hour weeks, amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Apologies to the OP for the thread drift.

That machine is awesome beyond words,

I'm not a pilot or an engineer but like many other people I'm fascinated by the level of engineering skill like this guy exhibits.

Again, not a Pilot but.. would I fly that? Never in a million years.

Someone is going to have to be very skilled/brave/lucky. I am not at all sure how the flying characteristics of the real world design would translate down to that scale.

Keith, the B17 translates quite well to a smaller scale due to the moments and surface areas, particularly the large stabilizer which is frequently a problem when scaling down WW2 aircraft. Most models need an increase in stab area when scaled down to keep them from being too touchy and lessen the snap roll/stall tendency. There's also plenty of wing area as the full scale was designed to carry a heavy load. Having the redundancy four engines and a huge vertical fin/rudder enhances the safety factor as well. The airfoil is quite thick and should provide adequate lift even at lower airspeed. Most of the B-17 RC models fly very well, almost trainer-like and this one should be the same. Check the pics of relative appearance to scale.
PS - Hope you're doing OK.

Attachments

• B-17 at Oxford.jpg
    B-17 at Oxford.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 164
  • B17 resize.jpg
    B17 resize.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 172
Looks like Bally will need all the runway he can get. Here's a video of a 1/3 scale B25 (although an RC model). 417 lbs with two radials producing about 53 hp total. Notice he keeps the power on to almost the very end when on final to counter the coffe cup-like glide ( scale performance ).
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47SLoAlWCE]1:3 B25 Mitchell RC model plane 2x 400ccm Moki - The official 1st flight 2012 at La Ferte - YouTube[/ame]

Those are 400cc each. A company called Valach (think they're Czech) makes them in 400, 800, and, I think 1200cc sizes. That would be perfect for Jack's B 17 ( 4 X 1200 would be almost 5 liters) but they're not FAA approved for piloted aircraft.
As for flying that thing, I'm with you - couldn't fit in it as David remarked, and I think I'd much rather be standing on Terra Firma holding a transmitter.

If the engines are Hirth as indicated in the link, a friend had a Hirth flat 4 in an Avid Flyer. He had 100 hp and had plenty of practice at forced landings! I hope that all is well with this project when it flies. I have flown in a real B17 at Oshkosh (Aluminium Overcast - EAA members will know which one). Keith might be interested to know that my friend's last forced landing was over the Solent when coming back from the Isle of Wight, when he had to make an emergency landing at Thorney Island - which provided a bit of excitement for the Army who are in residence there at the moment.

Keith

If the engines are Hirth as indicated in the link, a friend had a Hirth flat 4 in an Avid Flyer. He had 100 hp and had plenty of practice at forced landings! I hope that all is well with this project when it flies. I have flown in a real B17 at Oshkosh (Aluminium Overcast - EAA members will know which one). Keith might be interested to know that my friend's last forced landing was over the Solent when coming back from the Isle of Wight, when he had to make an emergency landing at Thorney Island - which provided a bit of excitement for the Army who are in residence there at the moment.

Army? Not RAF any more? Which branch? I used to belong to Thorney Island Sailing Club which was literally on an active airforce base in the '70's and Rum Runner is only a mile away as we speak!

Back