Order of Operations?

OK guys,
I am finishing up a couple of projects here over the next month or two (the dang race car keeps on taking up time to keep it going, but I have a few months off from that soon). I should be able to actually start my build, but I was wonder what you all did in what order. I just read Ken's build and he painted and did the body up front. I was thinking body paint later so it does not get messed up. What did you all do or plan to do?

So here are thoughts.
1-Just follow manual page by page?
2- Take body off, pedals, brakes, suspension- front lift kt, fuel system, install engine and transaxle, plumbing for coolant, ac, oil cooler placement if used, accusump, electrical, get car running and drive it, body fitment, lights, interior fitment and custom items here for me, body off and paint if needed, body on, windows and final items.

I am just trying to think ahead. I am already pretty certain I will take each bolt and part off multiple times, but I am trying to plan a few things and use a logical approach to this to save myself frustration and some time if I can.

Thanks
Troy

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I don't recommend doing what I did. l only had it painted early on so that a friend could show it at his booth in the car show. It will need to be redone at the end of the build process.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I agree I think I would paint it last. But I would finish the body prep through to final primer coat before I began with all the rest of the process.

Maybe I'll follow my own advice on the next build.

Hi Troy,
I haven't received my car yet, so I'm certainly not an expert on the SLC build process but I too have been playing the “what came first...the chicken or the egg” in trying to determine a logical order in which to build my SLC.

I see that you have pedals listed as your first install item. I have adjustable pedals ordered, so I thought that before I can determine a location to mount the pedals, I will have to do a mock up of the drivers (non-adjustable) seat, center consul, and steering column. I'm doing this to insure that everything is lined up and comfortable for me. I'm not certain if that is 100% necessary but I guess I would just feel more comfortable in doing it that way!

For what it's worth, here is my novice take on how I think I should proceed with what I am calling stem #11 (the first 10 stems are listed in my “The Plan” thread). I thought that I would start at the front of the car.11. Install radiator (while fan shroud is being fabricated proceed with step #12)
12.Front lift kit
13.Brake lines (my thinking in doing the brake before the coolant lines: brake lines will be installed on the bottom of the vertical surface of the tub where it meets the horizontal surface. The Coolant line will be mounted on the horizontal surface almost butting-up against the brake line. Brake line will be inaccessible after the coolant line are installed!

14. Coolant line installation
15. Install sound deadening materials on inside of front bulk head
16. Install front bulk head
17. Locate and install master cylinder & clutch reservoir on front bulk head
18. Finalize brake & coolant line hook-ups

I foresee a lot of jumping around from half complete project to other half complete projects while waiting for for parts to be fabricated or waiting for that big brown truck to deliver some parts. However; I suspect that there will be enough other project to keep me occupied in the mean time.

Troy, or anyone else, please feel free to comment.

Good luck with your build!

Jim

A big part of the reason I am asking this is that my MiniMR2 project I have had the body on and off a ton of times. I keep going back to little items and saying I wish I did that when I did this to save time. I think 1/2 of my time is taking things apart and putting them back together to just take apart again. It can get frustrating, but that project is way different than this will be, I hope. Like figuring out how to use a modern wiper system with a mini, mount and wire it all. Junkyard finds for a Odesey rear window wiper motor and arm, sure one speed but it should work. Just with that car everthing is so little and looking at the SLC it seems huge to me right now.

I forgot about sound items and was thinking final interior on that, but can and should be done during the process I think.

Good thoughts I think on coolant lines. I plan to TIG weld up some SS or Alum lines myself, wrap, space, etc as needed to keep heat away. I will also need to do the same with my accusump.

I think I need to read up more on the coolant lines and AC system. I keep reading that a bunch of guys are getting all these different parts and doing differnt things. I am curious if what Fran supplies does not work and we need to get parts for the LS engine? I have not even read the manual on that part yet as that is a bit down the road, just wondering.

Here is a quick one, on the body fitment does the front windsheild really not fit well until it is all mounted up and nice? Mine is just taped in right now, but there does seem to be a big gap and not fitting well at all, but it is just taped in right now.

I was thinking pedals at first because I ordered a linear actuator a while ago and plan to make my pedals move forward and back. In a thread there is a video of it with a good way to do it. I was designing a 90 bellcrank arm to do it and saw that they mounted the actuator to the right of the gas pedal. I was not sure it could fit there, but now that I saw it I am glad as it should make it simpilar to install. I might use some seat rails or something like for movement. I was going to mount it on a sold alum panel and mill channels on side pieces for it to slide in and out on. We will see what the final item I came up with is, but ideas for now.

Paint on and body work, when, hmmm. I see videos of SLC's driving without the front and rear on there.

Back