Original GT40 ad

A while ago I purchased an original Ford Motor Company ad out of a magazine.
I found it on Ebay.
The ad features Ken Miles standing next to a GT40 (I am not sure wich one, maybe/probably one of you know).
The ad is from a magazine probably called Ward's Quarterly summer, 1965 (at least that's what it says in the lower right corner).

I want to frame it, but I am afraid the ad will fade because of the light.
Any suggestions on how to prevent it from fading. No, I will not hang it in a dark room:)

IMG_1401_zps66ebe7d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
That appears to be the class winning GT/103 (Miles/McLaren) just before Sebring 1965. Here is a shot taken during that race.

Last edited:
A while ago I purchased an original Ford Motor Company ad out of a magazine.
I found it on Ebay.
The ad features Ken Miles standing next to a GT40 (I am not sure wich one, maybe/probably one of you know).
The ad is from a magazine probably called Ward's Quarterly summer, 1965 (at least that's what it says in the lower right corner).

I want to frame it, but I am afraid the ad will fade because of the light.
Any suggestions on how to prevent it from fading. No, I will not hang it in a dark room:)

IMG_1401_zps66ebe7d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any framing store should have UV protection options. There are also sprays available to use on the item itself before framing. Neither will absolutely prevent fading, but they will provide significant protection. And, if you are really worried about preservation, use both the spray and UV treated glass/acrylic, and hang it away from any windows.

Ian

@Jim, It definitely looks like it is GT/103. What is the latch just behind the drivers door in front of the carburetor air intake?

@Ian, thanks, I didn't know that!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
@Jim, It definitely looks like it is GT/103. What is the latch just behind the drivers door in front of the carburetor air intake?

@Ian, thanks, I didn't know that!

As I recall, that little flap was so they could add water (oil?), without opening the rear clip.

As I recall, that little flap was so they could add water (oil?), without opening the rear clip.

I believe water since that is, IIRC, where the overflow tank sits. I don't think they could reach any place (easily) from that flap to add oil, but I could be wrong.

Ian

Geert-Jan, a few weeks back I started a thread ("Got Life") about two ads I found in "LIFE" magazine and could never figure out how to post a photo but you have. Thank you! Yours is the other ad I could not post. The one I found is a 2 page spread so sadly it would be much harder to frame. I agree with the above though....use UV glass to protect it. I too wondered about the flap and take a look at the front as its clear they were experimenting with downforce. Great Find.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Thats an interesting photo, I love the look of that engine.

Two things I noticed, first, the blue color of the tub, second the holes on the top of the rear arms of the tub, I don't remember seeing those before.

Hi Geert,
If all else fails & you are still worried about fading, photo copy it. Display the copy & keep original in a darkened room.
P.S. I am spending a lot of time in a darkened room to stop me fading :laugh:

Back