P1017 on Visit in Graz

Hello:
I thought I'd share with you a few links related to an event which took place September 2021 in Graz, Austria, in honor of Jochen Rindt. Of interest, to all of you curious about original GT40's, their sound, and present appearance, is the close look the first video offers as to the details of P1017 :

the video:

the event in Graz (in German): https://www.graz.at/cms/ziel/11505998/ (where this video is enclosed)

Further information on P1017:
http://gt40.net/gt40-chassis-numbers/gt40-p1017/
https://www.racingsportscars.com/results/Zeltweg-1966-09-11.html

Sorry to say, at that time I was too busy with my own car(s) - would have been fun to join in with my RCR40 .... I'm planning on taking a picture of it in front of JR's childhood home (near where the first picture was taken) next spring ;-)

P1017 at Zeltweg in 1966 - back then a tight and bumpy air field track - no chance against Porsches there :)

Attachments

• EinwJochenRindtPlatz030.jpg
    EinwJochenRindtPlatz030.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Zeltweg1.jpg
    Zeltweg1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Very cool I wonder what the ownership history is of that car since my front clip is supposedly molded from that car.

1017 was in New England in the mid-90s. The owner lived in Maine. I met the car while it was being restored by Paul Russell and Co(*).
(I have the latch from a Hartwell fastener from it on my car. The owner wanted a shiny new set on the car).

Octane Magazine had an article about the car after it was sold to someone in the UK.

(*) The team lead, Mark Allin, now has his own business (RareDrive.com) that has restored many GT40s.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
1017 was in New England in the mid-90s. The owner lived in Maine. I met the car while it was being restored by Paul Russell and Co(*).
(I have the latch from a Hartwell fastener from it on my car. The owner wanted a shiny new set on the car).

Octane Magazine had an article about the car after it was sold to someone in the UK.

(*) The team lead, Mark Allin, now has his own business (RareDrive.com) that has restored many GT40s.

ahhh, that would explain where Bill got the front clam to make the mold. So I have an early front with a late rear. Bill has made many parts for those guys. They often have had him make the complete part (front clam) and then only cut the portion out they need to fix the original and toss the rest in the bin.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
So I finally got my wheels on the front of my chassis and now the left side rubs at the front. I have always thought that the front left of this clamshell was a little off as if the mold was taken from a car that had been hit on the left front. Is there any record of 1017 having a hit on the left front? I know kind of a crazy question for a 57 year old car but it would answer some questions.

Thanks
David

David.....
i had the beautiful opportunity to see and inspect (outside) the MK3 from Ford at the last classic car show in Birmingham(uk) last November, and space between the tyre and fender front left is à small 1 c while right front you have practically 3 cm space... and supposedly this car should not be damaged but painted at list 4 times. since I follow the car a little...

so noting is straight.... and every car is different I think

dont pannic
Paul

Back