P1085 in Octane #77

My Octane issue #77 arrived today, inside there is an article on P1085.

40 years in boxes!!, are there any more?

Steve

My Octane issue #77 arrived today, inside there is an article on P1085.

40 years in boxes!!, are there any more?

Steve

One answer to your question could to be how deep are your pockets ?

We do seem to have fairly regular 'barn find' type stories here

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You guys must get this before we do...can't wait to see it. Seems I recall this promised a few months back in their "Coming Attractions" section....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes, I had to call them up and complain about it. They sent my (overdue) issue by Priority Mail, and included an issue of EVO, which is nice of them, and extended OCTANE by two months, which is very nice. EVO is pretty lightweight. OCTANE is terrific.

some pics from goodwood, including 1085

Attachments

• DSC02238.jpg
    DSC02238.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC02240.jpg
    DSC02240.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC02255.jpg
    DSC02255.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 486
I like your shots of Goodwood Revival. I still take Slide film shots and they are not processed yet. But this is story and I am sticking to it. They wheeled out both GT40's because of some photographer and his 'models'!! And thats when I took my photos. My excuse to my wife is I was taking the shots of the cars and these 'models' just happened to get in the way! Still it was P1085 filler caps in magnesium that impressed me. Perhaps that would explain why P1075 filler cap at Le Mans was matt Black and not chromed? Still it was funny when the 'cleaning ladies' started dusting down the Gulf stand (Lord March garage).
Regards Allan

Allan,

Not all your pictures were taken when we wheeled the cars out for the "designer" shoot.
I gave you the only tail up and engine bay photo opportunity of anyone that weekend and spent more time with you explaining 1084 and 1085 and discussing 40s than anyone else. Did the pictures not turn out any good?

Strange things those magnesium filler caps. Painted matt black for anti glare and protection but no lighter than the alloy ones as the spring closure plates and associated hardware make them heavier than the standard ones.

Having in the "cleaning ladies" was great to clean all the showroom fittings of the dust that floats about .... as for the cars though my arms almost still ache from trying to keep them free of all the fingers and ice cream marks so that the cars looked as good as possible. After all we were trying to emulate a 1966 showroom and present to the public some idea of our proposed colour schemes for the future racing programme. I think it will be a popular colour don,t you !!

Regards,

Graham. Gulf Showroom Manager, Goodwood Revival.

Allan,

Not all your pictures were taken when we wheeled the cars out for the "designer" shoot.
I gave you the only tail up and engine bay photo opportunity of anyone that weekend and spent more time with you explaining 1084 and 1085 and discussing 40s than anyone else. Did the pictures not turn out any good?

Strange things those magnesium filler caps. Painted matt black for anti glare and protection but no lighter than the alloy ones as the spring closure plates and associated hardware make them heavier than the standard ones.

Having in the "cleaning ladies" was great to clean all the showroom fittings of the dust that floats about .... as for the cars though my arms almost still ache from trying to keep them free of all the fingers and ice cream marks so that the cars looked as good as possible. After all we were trying to emulate a 1966 showroom and present to the public some idea of our proposed colour schemes for the future racing programme. I think it will be a popular colour don,t you !!

Regards,

Graham. Gulf Showroom Manager, Goodwood Revival.
Hi Graham
My first comment about the models was light hearted. I did say that the slides I took were not processed yet. I hope your 'Gulf' lady showing your display outside had a Gulf umbrella? As it appeared to start to rain as I left your stand. Thanks for the chair and you help and conversation. I do appreciate it. Thanks once again to your colleague and yourself. And yes I like the colour scheme. Except the Gulf ladies coat would have been easier on the eyes the other way round. especially if the Orange (Marigold) was subsituted for (wiltshire) pale Blue instead of the Marigold (Orange).The sleeve cuffs were your proper dark Blue.They would have reverted to Marigold (Orange) in my suggested colours scheme. I admit the proper dark Blue would have been less attractive in this case in the Marigold (Orange) area than the pale Blue.
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Jim,

The cleaning ladies do the rounds at the meeting and go around fairly light heartedly dusting and polishing most of the displays. They turn up at random and always are a laugh and great photo opportunity.

Hair up in a turban, fag hanging out of the mouth, stockinged legs, etc, etc, just as one would imagine the english cleaner or char lady would be around a garage or workshop in days gone by .... and full of cheeky, joking chatter.

As i was on duty as the showroom manager i was not taking pictures and rather relied on the spectators to do the filming. Hope someone can oblige us with some pictures.

Graham.

Back