P2264 is back

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

P2264 is repaired, back home and looks great. The folks who did he repair were the Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara, with help from Steve Wood. They did a great job and I could not be happier.

When he heard about my problem with a stress crack to my shock tower, Lance at Superformance immediately called me to get more info. We discussed the very high miles I have put on the car and the type of driving and roads involved (lots of city and country roads with less than good paving).

After checking with South Africa and other GT40 owners, It seems that so far, mine seems to be unique. The SPF GT40 cars are all built to original GT40 specifications and the break was not a manufacturing fault. Whether it was the type of roads is use, the very high miles or both, mine seems to be blazing new territory.

After talking with SA, Lance called and told me that Superformance would fix my car.

I never expected this!

Even though my car is three plus years old and thousands of miles out of warranty, Lance and the SPF guys took care of me. The repair is fabulous, look original, just thicker. (I'll try and post photos). They have documented the design of the repair, in case another stress crack shows up.

Again, I want to thank Lance, the Superformance guys and the craftsman at Mustang Ranch and Steve Wood for taking care of this problem. Great guys to work with.

Last edited:
I own a CAV and love it but you've got to tip your hat to that kind of support. Kudo's to SPF and I'm real pleased for you Jim. Many more happy miles to you and yours.

Jim,
Great to hear SPF covered your repair even though your car is way out of warranty. My experience with SPF on a warranty issue was excellent too. Please post photos of the repair.

Its all too true that a company isn't judged on the quality of its products but how they deal with any problems.

Well done to SPF, its good to see a company standing behind their product rather than just fobbing off the customer with a "tough its out of warranty" message.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Kudos to SPF, Jim! They realize word of mouth is the best form of advertising and they've just gotten some well deserved raves from members on a forum that really focuses on one of their main products. Great decision on their part!

Cheers to SPF!

Doug

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I forgot to add, I had been having some alternator problems, not always charging and sometimes unable to keep up with both the AC and radiator fans at the same time.

They fixed that as well, needless to say, I'm a very happy guy!

I'll try and post some photos of the fix tonight, my wife is the familty tech person.

Jim,
I'm very interested in that alternator fix. Mine too has been having some issues. Let us know what the cure was. Thanks.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy,

I know this makes me sound fairly lame, but apparently it was a loose connection. I thought that might have been the problem, but they all seemed tight to me.

Jim, no lameness my friend. I've always been told that electrical problems are usually simple fixes.....but the toughest part is finding the bloody problem. Its usually hidden in a maze of wires or behind the dash or between too bulkheads. Grrrr!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The SPF GT40 cars are all built to original GT40 specifications ....

I'd love to see the "specifications" that show a MK-II-style anti-roll bar mounting (cantilevered off the rear of the shock bolts), but with bar verticals so short that the arms slope down 30-45 degrees, on a Mk-I frame where the shock mount has only one layer of thin sheet metal on each side.

Anybody seen those "specs" or drawings? Or even a photo of any pre-1970 GT40 in that configuration?

Also, does anyone think the correction should be made before the cracks show up?

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Good to hear your back on the road Jim and even better than new! Like Jimmy, I had some long nights tracking down electrical gremlins and more often than not it turns out something has worked its way loose.

Looking forward to the photos.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, it's up to you, but this might be a good time to just let it go and be happy:)

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Sorry guys, I ended up taking my tech lady out to dinner, and now it's dark!

I promise to get photos tomorrow.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, it's up to you, but this might be a good time to just let it go and be happy:)

That's easy for you to say since yours got fixed for free. Even so being lied to never makes me happy, and I would think you might be unhappy, or at least embarrassed, to be a conduit for that lie being propagated to your fellow owners.

IAE there are still the rest of us 250 or so owners of cars with the same design error causing shock mounts to crack just a little bit over every bump and yet not a peep from the manufacturer. I don't see how people think that's laudable behavior.

We discussed the very high miles I have put on the car and the type of driving and roads involved (lots of city and country roads with less than good paving).

I remember you said the car has ~28,000 miles on the odometer. Is that considered high mileage? Happy to hear your satisfied with the repair(s) and the quick service.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
15a2i36yfzwqw

Here are some photos of the repair.

15a2i36yfzwqw

15a2i36yfzwqw

15a2i36yfzwqw

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Well guys, the photos were on my computer but when I looked on my Ipad I only get these little blue boxes. Any thoughts.

Well guys, the photos were on my computer but when I looked on my Ipad I only get these little blue boxes. Any thoughts.

The photos need to be put someplace other than on your computer, for starters! :laugh:

Seriously--are you posting them to some photo-sharing site, then linking to them from here? That's the most effective thing to do, I've found. If necessary, you can send them to me, I'll then do it for you. :thumbsup:

Back