Partially assembled RF GT40 for sale

Hi Bill

Thanks for the heads up on the auction. Sounds like very good value for money? any comments?
Any builders out there have an estimate of the costs to finish the build + a builder suitable to finish the build. It would need to comply with NSW ADR's.

ps c'mon who's looking for a new project :)

cheers

Stuart

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
This is a subjective sort of response Stu, however I'll give it a go...

Firstly I'd say that there would be close to $55-60k worth of work in this car already (parts only really, maybe a couple of thousand for body fit and panel work as labour??) so for $45k buy it now I think it represents a great deal. Additionally the hard stuff is just about done although it does get expensive from here on in. There is about $5k plus on wiring, $5k on motec, $4k for wheels and tyres, $1k for drive shafts, $10k for all other engine ralated accessories (manifold, exhaust, sensors, alternator, coil packs etc... The spray job will set you back between $5-10k depending on the job and the person doing this work and of course there is the upholstery work too ($3-4k)...
This tallys to about 30-35K above the initial purchase price which isn't a lot when compared to what they go for complete. Of course you could be much tighter and go the non ADR route for either club rego or a stripped out racer and that could see you on track for maybe aonther 15 or 20k....
I'm surprised the new RF doesn't buy it back and finish it as a demonstrator:D

Cheers

Bill.

Hi Bill,
I am mid way (maybe) through building RF #117, it will be a race car but rego of any sort would be a bonus. You mentioned Club Rego in your reply, is their a thread on this or do you have any info / link that would be usefull ?

Iain

Iain, the car has to be 30 years old to get club rego here in NSW. They've got us screwed from pretty much every direction.

Last edited:
Hi Bill

...The new RF may not be aware of it!
Thanks for your detailed response it was exactly the subjective info I was after. I appreciate your time and effort!
I'll get in contact with the sellers and firstly ask if the car has been ADR engineered to this point, I know it may not meet NSW requirements but at least it will be a start.
I think I'll get them to look at the RF link (http://www.roaringforties.com.au/quickbuild.html)
and they can then tell me which of the parts on the list the car comes with.
Anything else you recommend asking?

cheers

Stuart

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Stu

A few more things to consider:
-the car is a 5.0ltr chassis, therefore it must be registered by 31st December THIS year, as the 5.0ltr Windsor no longer passes emissions after this.
- Do you have the time to put into a project like this to meet this time frame?
- Do you have the experience to be able to do the necessary assembly work?
- Do you have the finances to make this happen in such a short time frame? (you can whisper the answers to yourself...:p: )

I know that if I was to build my car again, I could do it much quicker the second time around. My car has so far taken me 4 years and 9 months to get this far and I'm still not over the line yet, so unless you can answer yes to all the above questions, I'd seriously think about buying this and instead look for a completed car.
It could perhaps be converted to run a different(read complying) engine setup that would stretch your timeframe out a few years, however it would cost serious dollars and would require expertise that many people (like me) don't have.

I think this car will end up either going overseas, completed as a racecar or bought back by the new RF for completion as a demo or as a parts.....

Iain, I think club rego is a possibility as there are some (1?) RF cars that have club plates. In Victoria (Ross Nicol can chime here any time) you can join clubs like the Cobra club or the Lotus club and maybe get in that way. I don't have enough knowledge to comment further however I know that it has been done, so that would imply that if it has been done once it can be done again...
Motoring clubs are lobbying heavily at the moment to get 90 days a year of road use for club registered vehicles, obviously not only limited to club days and events but unrestricted. If this goes through, it will be a seriously attractive alternative to ADR compliancing and rego.

Cheers

Stu

I think this car will end up either going overseas, completed as a racecar or bought back by the new RF for completion as a demo or as a parts.....

Cheers

Hey Bill, I'm free between 2 and 3 am if you could please come around and help me complete this car !!

Serioulsy though, I know the owner and completed the original Vicroads submission and initial inspection for him prior to this RF exercise. He has done a great job so far and it would make a great headstart for anyone able to throw time and money at it to finish it off.

Regards Paul B

Hey Bill, I'm free between 2 and 3 am if you could please come around and help me complete this car !!

Serioulsy though, I know the owner and completed the original Vicroads submission and initial inspection for him prior to this RF exercise. He has done a great job so far and it would make a great headstart for anyone able to throw time and money at it to finish it off.

Regards Paul B

Paul,

Any news on the reformed RF?

Ian

Stu

A few more things to consider:
-the car is a 5.0ltr chassis, therefore it must be registered by 31st December THIS year, as the 5.0ltr Windsor no longer passes emissions after this.
- Do you have the time to put into a project like this to meet this time frame?
- Do you have the experience to be able to do the necessary assembly work?
- Do you have the finances to make this happen in such a short time frame? (you can whisper the answers to yourself...:p: )

I know that if I was to build my car again, I could do it much quicker the second time around. My car has so far taken me 4 years and 9 months to get this far and I'm still not over the line yet, so unless you can answer yes to all the above questions, I'd seriously think about buying this and instead look for a completed car.
It could perhaps be converted to run a different(read complying) engine setup that would stretch your timeframe out a few years, however it would cost serious dollars and would require expertise that many people (like me) don't have.

Cheers

Hi Bill

Appreciate the insight. I spoke to the seller and he mentioned the same thing about having to have it registered this year but the NSW Engineer says impossible to register with that engine in NSW - so I won't be considering it any further. Thanks again

cheers

Stuart

Stu, it doesn't HAVE to have a 302. At that price you could afford to have the chassis modified to take a compliant engine. Nothing is impossible.

Paul,

Any news on the reformed RF?

Ian

Hi Ian,

It's all moving along very well thanks for asking.
I think it's about time we (Owen C) puts an update on the forums here in a seperate thread so as not to hijack what might be a sale for this owner.

More later - but back to the suject at hand, we are now more than capable of supporting this car (and all other builds) with parts to completion if any prospective owners are concerned.

Regards Paul

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Hi Paul

Sorry if I came across as presumptious, it's just that it struck me as another possible solution to the fate of this particular car. I did suggest that there are a number of possibilities with the car and I do hope someone keen picks it up and finishes it off in time, as it is a bargain and deserves to be finished. I tend to believe that 302 Windsor powered cars that are registered prior to the end of this year will have a slight premium over 4.6/5.4 engined cars due to the perceived originality, but that is only my humble opinion.....

Cheers

Bill.

Hi Paul

Sorry if I came across as presumptious, it's just that it struck me as another possible solution to the fate of this particular car. I did suggest that there are a number of possibilities with the car and I do hope someone keen picks it up and finishes it off in time, as it is a bargain and deserves to be finished. I tend to believe that 302 Windsor powered cars that are registered prior to the end of this year will have a slight premium over 4.6/5.4 engined cars due to the perceived originality, but that is only my humble opinion.....

Cheers

Bill.

No probs Bill ! I was only joking ! A bit busy with everything here to do a build, but it crossed my mind too - a really good opportunity for someone to get into one of these quickly and rather cheaply. PB

Last edited:

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
I've heard that this car has been sold although I don't know if this is a fact or not.
Hope someone from the forum picked it up and I also hope it gets completed and registered in time.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill

Well it wasn't me although from speaking to the owner it had a lot of interest. I was considering it but i wasn't sure whether RF could modify the chassis for me to allow fitment of a 4.6L or 5.4L motor.

I hope someone on here did pick it up as I'm looking forward to another "build thread'

Cheers
Stuart

It wasn't me either but damn I was close to purchasing. I too hope the new owner starts posting. With about 8 months of time left to complete the build and register it with the current motor it would be awesome to see - shades of Dave from Albany WA.

JW

Had an offer on it too. Pull the pin though, the men in white coats were looming.............

Back