Phenolic spacers

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Did the phenolic spacers as used on 48IDAs on original cars go above or below the cold air box (turkey pan)? I looked at numerous photos but it is difficult to tell. Does it make a difference?

Thanks,

Brian.

Above. They need to isolate the Webers from the heat of the manifold. Placing the spacers below the air box will make the box sit too high. Here is a link to Racing Icons that shows the assembly sequence.

Cheers
Bill

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Brian,

this is what I'm doing....from my build thread...

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/19346-gt40-engine-build-mirage-chassis.html

First page about halfway down.

"Cutting gaskets as the aluminium cold box plate also needs to be fit between the carbs and the inlet manifold. Gasket material is 0.4mm thick.

The phenolic spacers come supplied with 8 x 3mm thick gaskets so I am cutting another 16 from the paper to allow a gasket in the following order...

48 IDA base
0.4mm gasket
Phenolic spacer
3mm gasket
3mm aluminium 'cold box' base plate
0.4mm gasket
inlet manifold"

Since then I got hold of some 0.8mm gasket material and am using that and getting rid of the 3mm thich gaskets. So it now reads.... from the carbs down...

48 IDA base
0.8mm gasket
Phenolic spacer
0.8mm gasket
3mm aluminium 'cold box' base plate
0.8mm gasket
inlet manifold

I increased the gasket thickness to ensure a good seal.. dont want fuel escaping... the photo shows the setup with the 3 mm thick gasket listed first.

Andy

Attachments

• spacers.jpg
    spacers.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 505
Not wood - phenolic.

Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

PROPERTIES
Excellent dielectric strength
Good machinability
Light weight
Heat and wear resistant
Resists corrosion and chemicals
Good mechanical strength & dimensional stability
Low moisture absorption

Hope this helps
Bill D

Bill,

You forgot the most important quality.

The stuff stinks to no end if you cut, machine, sand, or casually look at it for too long.

Ah, thanks.

We use a hard rubbery plastic to space inlet stuff over here (in my little niche anyway).....then again I spend more time reducing inlet tract length than spacing it out.....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Buy an offcut from a sheet of phenolic from a plastics supplier - I've made mine for about NZ$3.00 each.

Back