Photo posting problems

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Is anybody else having problems posting photos, or am I special? :)

About half the time I try to post a photo (yes, 640x480, JPEG, way under 200K) it doesn't work. After I attach the image and click "upload image", it just acts like it's taking all week to upload (I've actually left it for several hours on occasion to no avail). This usually happens when I am replying to a post, and has never happened when posting to the gallery. It's been like this now for months.

Any ideas? It is not likely my high-speed connection because I can always upload on other forums and usually much faster than here. Usually I just give up and don't post my reply. Does the system somehow have a way of pre-determining that my post is not worthwhile? ;)

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Mark,

I've never had and trouble but maybe we need to let some others chime in. The amount of time it takes before it takes the photo depends on the size to start with - the forum will resize them automatically now but if you upload a 2048x1024 it takes a long time for it to resize it and will seem like it is hung up. You indcate that isn't your problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'll try a few for test sake. These three took about 12 seconds and were all small, uploaded all at once.

R

Attachments

• block2.JPG
    block2.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_2717.JPG
    IMG_2717.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 356
  • cthulthujpg.JPG
    cthulthujpg.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 337
I can sometimes get it to work, then on occasion it will not post. If this happens I have forwarded to picture to Paul Thompson or Lynn ( moderators ) who seem to have the magic to make it work when I cant.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
this wouldn't work last night and now it does... ???

Attachments

• panteraAvatar123.jpg
    panteraAvatar123.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 342

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
neither would this one (from a few weeks back)...

Could it be my ISP? or does it have something to do with posting images on "odd" days?

Mark

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 356

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys, no offense since most times it is the forum, but in this case I think the problem lies on the client's end. The forum serves 1000s of people and 100s of them post photos with no incident. The most likely cause is that you have an ISP problem, Firewall interference, browser is unhappy, or some other issue.

My suggestion would be to update to the latest browser version, make sure your firewall isn't over active on trying to protect you, and maybe do a router/computer reboot when you have issues. None of what I have suggested it very specific, but that is about all I can suggest. I checked both of your user IDs, they are just like everyone else's so the forum doesn't think you are any different from any other user.

Wish I could help more on this one but this is somewhat similar to the guys that couldn't see pictures months ago. Couldn't duplicate it when I logged on as them at my house and it turned out to be firewall/permission issues.

Best,
Ron

Is anybody else having problems posting photos, or am I special? :)

About half the time I try to post a photo (yes, 640x480, JPEG, way under 200K) it doesn't work. After I attach the image and click "upload image", it just acts like it's taking all week to upload (I've actually left it for several hours on occasion to no avail). This usually happens when I am replying to a post, and has never happened when posting to the gallery. It's been like this now for months.

Any ideas? It is not likely my high-speed connection because I can always upload on other forums and usually much faster than here. Usually I just give up and don't post my reply. Does the system somehow have a way of pre-determining that my post is not worthwhile? ;)

You could try or consider this alternative, if you can't upload them from your computer, try www.photobucket.com,or or www.imageshack.com, and you can upload your images on their server, and then copy them in the various threads.

I hope it helps
Ciao
Italo

Last edited:

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I suspect that it is ISP related. The only difference between last night and today was that the date was different. I did not re-start either my computer or my browser (latest versions), re-connect to my ISP (always on), nor did I modify the images—although in the past I've tried all of those and it's made no difference. I guess I'll just try to keep my posts to even days. Thanks for looking into it. I'll try photobucket as suggested by Italo next time this pops up.

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, I suspect that it is ISP related. The only difference between last night and today was that the date was different. I guess I'll just try to keep my posts to even days.

So you really think it is on even days you can post, odd you cannot? Please investigate or at least try this experiment a few more times. Very interesting!!!!

R

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
We had similar problems on another vBulletin powered forum, with the same version software as here, and found that any pics that had "portrait" type aspect ratios would upload, but wouldn't display.

Even square pics with a 1.00 aspect ratio, ie 800 x 800 wouldn't display.

As soon as the aspect ratio was changed to landscape, even by only 1 pixel width, they displayed OK, ie an 800x800 pic wouldn't display, but an 800x799 would.

Mark says he's already tried 640x480 resolution, so perhaps this isn't relevant for him, but it may be helpful for others' problems.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So you really think it is on even days you can post, odd you cannot? Please investigate or at least try this experiment a few more times. Very interesting!!!!
R

Actually, I have no idea. Only thing is that my photos can eventually be posted, but if I can't post a photo that day, it doesn't matter what image I try to post, I can't post any at all (although I can do text-only replies). I will try to pay more attention to see if there is a pattern. I used to think it had something to do with image size and even started making sure all of my images were UNDER 640x480 pixels (ie. a portrait format was 479x359) and still no success. I am sure it's not the images because I can post them at another time, as shown below (or above, depending on how you view the forum).
Mark

I presume this is not related the to problem of uploading pics to the "gallery" or "my cars" section in a users profile.

Thats been down for some time.

Hi Ron

Just checked the "My Car" section out went to add a pic and I get this

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: is_valid_resize_extension() in /home/gt40s/public_html/forum/includes/class_carreg.php on line 41

Lynn was looking at this, a couple of weeks ago,

Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Dang, I thought I figured that out because I could post and nobody else had mentioned it. I'll have another look.

Does the Gallery work for you?

R

I'm glad I found this thread! I thought it was me. I've tried a half dozen ways of uploading to "my car" with the same error message. Do I post a picture in this thread by linking to a hosted site? I'll try it that way:

Coupe10-14-06001.jpg

Back