Pics on posts

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In my experience, iPhones are the worst offenders here, but Androids are not immune. The phone was not stabilized in either the portrait or landscape mode before photo is taken. The photo is actually taken right side up, but the phone still thinks it’s in another position. When you view the photo on the phone, the hardware resolves the issue for that viewing and it “usually“ shows you your photo in the proper orientation. Unfortunately, the Exif data embedded in the photo shows the wrong position. Our forum software takes the Exif data and orients the photo the only way it can.
The worst photos are those where the phone is not perpendicular to the ground. Shooting up or down, the phone’s gyro may not catch up in time to update the Exif.
Pro-Tip (I am a photographer) - kill off all your apps on your phone before start snapping photos. Then, hold the phone still a moment before snapping your photo. If your phone’s gyro is working properly, the Exif data should be good and correct.
If you load your photos first to a PC or Mac, you can generally adjust the orientation of the photos.
I do not believe that this forum software has the ability to reorient photos…. If it does, I sure don’t know about it…

[img rotateangle=degree rotatebgcolor=color flip=direction]image[/img] [img rotateangle=degree rotatebgcolor=color flip=direction]https://www.gt40s.com/attachments/5c390f06-fa5f-4f1c-9a0b-7d932c5c19f0-jpeg.127524[/img]

I cant make it work.....

5c390f06-fa5f-4f1c-9a0b-7d932c5c19f0-jpeg.127524

5c390f06-fa5f-4f1c-9a0b-7d932c5c19f0-jpeg.127524

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Saved and Edited in Microsoft Photos to rotate 90 degrees and saved it to another name
__5C390F06-FA5F-4F1C-9A0B-7D932C5C19F0.jpeg

Thats probably the ideal way to do it, as you do the processing for the rotation once, and then upload it, rather than what i was trying to do which is process the rotation each time it is downloaded.

I think that is the principal argument for why it's not commonly done. Much better to save it in the correct orientation prior to hosting the image.

Ron Earp

Admin
And just so you know, you can actually cut and paste into the text box. No need to upload if you don't want.

1677601854736.png

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
On my iMac, opening the picture and then rotating it 360 degrees then saving it works to make sure the picture shows up correctly when uploading it. I've no idea why this works...it just does :).

Chet

Back