Pin Drive Wheel Manufacturers

Does anyone have a compiled list of pin drive wheel manufacturers? My 15" wheels and tires are already obsolete ('cept for car shows) and I would like to fit some "Y" rated tires on the car. It's got to be 17" or more these days to get real tires.

The two I know of are PS Engineering and Jongbloed.

Thanks in advance.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I have purchased a few sets of wheels from Vintage Wheel and they are great quality and especially great value for money.
Bob has been nothing but superb in all respects...
I wish him luck .....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ps engineering 17X8 and 17X10

Attachments

• 41856-wheel20002.jpg
    41856-wheel20002.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 315
[ QUOTE ]
My 15" wheels and tires are already obsolete ('cept for car shows) and I would like to fit some "Y" rated tires on the car. It's got to be 17" or more these days to get real tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodyear still makes "vintage" race tires for 15" wheels that looks right on a GT40. The fronts fit 8" wide rims, the rears fit 10" wide rims. List price is about $200 a tire.
http://www.racegoodyear.com/products/racect36.html (scroll down halfway to "Cobra")

I've used them on the street for a few years without problems, but they're not DOT approved.

I got the tires from Sasco Sports.

Mark,

Avon make a 15 inch DOT 245/60/R15 if that helps.

Andrew Fordyce uses them to great effect on his 40, not just on the road but on the track. Hill climbs, sprints etc.

However you like you've got some power issues to contend with!

So I'd look at 17's, as long as you're happy with them looking a little wrong.

Good luck.

Regards,

J.P

P.S I wish Avon would make a nice road legal 295! That would solve so much pissing around.

The max tire width I can fit under the rear fenders is about 315. 315s only come in 18 inch wheels. I am currently running 295/50 so 295s will fit easily but the only size there is in a 19 inch wheel. Anything less and I start getting into tire diameters that are 1.5 inches or more under max diameter.

BenL, You run slicks on the street and haven't have any trouble with road hazards? I've heard slicks can be a bit delicate WRT hitting sharp stones and getting a puncture. I'm always more concerned with taking the proper line and I sometimes overlook little tidbits in the road.

It would be cool looking to have 15 inch tires and better yet to have the extra grip.

Mark

[ QUOTE ]
The max tire width I can fit under the rear fenders is about 315. 315s only come in 18 inch wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark, there are several 315-sized tires available for 17" wheels, including Michelin Pilot Sports, Goodyear Eagle F1s, and Pirellis. Do a search at tirerack.com .

[ QUOTE ]
BenL, You run slicks on the street and haven't have any trouble with road hazards? I've heard slicks can be a bit delicate WRT hitting sharp stones and getting a puncture. I'm always more concerned with taking the proper line and I sometimes overlook little tidbits in the road.
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not slicks. They have a tread pattern. On my tires, the tread pattern is 11/32" deep, new tires are probably a little deeper. You can see pictures of the tires at: http://rogerkrausracing.com/cobra.html

One problem with running non-DOT tires, is that if you get into an accident, the insurance company might make an issue of the tires.

Mark,

What a difference a couple months makes. I had checked out the brands you mentioned and some did not have front tires though they had the rears. Mmmmm, Goodyear F1 Supercar.

Still all these 315s are about 25.6 in diameter and I can run 26.5 to 27. Maybe this is my best compromise.

BenL,

I have some of those tires laying around from the 80s. That's some pretty retro tire technology there. Bias ply right? I'm wondering how it measures up to today's supercar tires.

JP,

A 295 or 315 Avon would make life a bit sweeter. Avons bias or radial?

Mark

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
www.hoosiertire.com Just fitted some p275/50zr15 (p/n45540) to the rear of MY cobra which promptly transformed the over steer characteristic into an under steer problem.They are excellent with a tread wear rating of 40 (soft)for the track.
Toyo RA1 are a good all round Tyre as well.
Michelin "pilot sport"are Bloody useless
Just my 2 bobs worth
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
FlatChat,

What is your understanding as far as street legal\dot for the Hoosier. I am using the same tire for street, but not sure if truly street legal. Not much more that chicken scratch for tread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Be careful with driving on Hoosiers in the streets. I love my Hoosiers on the track but they are very prone to punctures from things like sharp rocks. Hoosier use to have a street legal touring tire but it seems they gave up on that business.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
[ QUOTE ]
.......they are very prone to punctures from things like sharp rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that said through another source. Why do you think that is?

I have close to 2,000 mi on them, so far - so good. Do you suppose I'm rather lucky?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Race tires are made very thin. That is the thickness of the carcass is much thiner than a street tire. This is done to allow the tire to throw off heat quickly. Also slicks when run up to proper temp will get sticky. This tends to pick up just about anything you run over. A nice little rock that would never punchure a street tire will be picked up by a nice warm slick and wear thru the thin cord in a short time.

Yes, you are lucky, the road you drive on is well used thus clean and you are not getting the tires very hot at street speeds.

One more thing . If you deflate a slick there is very little tire to protect your rim. They usualy come apart very quickly and are prone to dammage fragile fiberglass bodywork.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Good comments re; tire use ,It seems that you need to find the most suitable tyre for your needs--road, track, authentism etc, then get the wheel to suit.
Manufactures of wheels and tyres seem to be leaning toward the big diameter stuff though??
Maybe a data base of suitable tyres, sizes etc.
And the wheel makers
Good luck
Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have two sets of 15" wheels - one for street, one for track. I use Hoosiers on the track and have an over the hill set of P-7's for the street. I have decided that I will most likely replace the P-7's with a set of BFG low speed (S or T rated) for street use. Who needs more than 118 mph on the street?

Back