Please Recommend a Clutch

Bill,

Any good Ford 10.5 inch clutch for street/strip will do.
Centerforce, RAM, I think Sachs makes one ...

One nice thing about using the ZF and SBF with correct bellhousing.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Ian. Does it have to be a specific type (long, diaphragm, Borg/Beck)?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard 10 in or 10.5 in clutch should be fine. Check out ERA's
website, they have a free text only manual you can download.
Covers different transaxle/engine combos and notes on clutch
assemblies (including TO bearings, discs, etc.) They also
list a Ford Motorsports clutch and give a part number that
fits the type 2 ZF and 66-81 289/302/351W block.

Clutches for Panteras should also work, Centerforce has a
model explicitly for them.

Ian

Ron McCall

Supporter
Bill,
Give Dennis @ Pantera Performance a call. I got a Weber clutch/diaphragm pressure plate/aluminum flywheel from him and it worked amazingly in my Pantera even with 660hp!
I plan to use the same set-up in my RCR GT40.

Bill,

Some items to consider...

To fit ERA's bell housing with the inverted ZF, you need a 157 tooth flywheel. Anything larger diameter won't fit the bell housing/will hang below the oil pan/transaxle/bottom of the car.

I'm using a McLeod aluminum flywheel with steel shoe and 157 tooth ring gear. Clutch disk and diaphram type pressure plate are also McLeod 10 1/2". All standard aftermarket Ford replacement parts.

As suggested, download ERA's excellent build manual for tips and part numbers of what fits including throw out bearing, slave cylinder, etc.

Excellent feel and control on the street. Very progressive. Holds the 420+ lb-ft torque of the engine with no problems. I'd rate the clutch pedal as pretty stiff although neither I nor the wife has any problems pushing it.

I talked to "Red" at McLeod when I ordered my stuff.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I have an aluminum 157-tooth flywheel and the inverted bellhousing. I checked the ERA website and got the recommended clutch and disc part numbers.

Cheers
Bill D

Back