Porsche 906 Question

Was browsing this afternoon & found an article on a P906 for sale in France recently... photos show a square tube frame/chassis and suspension that looks more like 911 ( trailing arm rear & Mcpherson strut front ). In the text they call it a pre/series Factory car which I have never heard about before and that this is a copy of the original chassis which has supposedly been taken back & since restored by Porsche. Anyone have anymore info in regard to this car, not a biggy, just tweaked my interest, thats all.

Last edited:
Well, I don't know about this particular car, but a 906 is not a square tube frame car. It's round tube frame, and there's a lot of tubes....no quite as many as a maser birdcage, but a lot. The 906 is really a 904 but with the new (then) 2.0 litre flat six.

The 906 suspension is nothing like a 911. It has springs front and read, not torsion bars (911) and the rear suspension is similar to a GT40, basically a rod suspension system with some use of heim joints. Not at all like a 911.

Doesn't sound like a real/original 906 to me.....just sayin'

Hello Could you post some link to this article so we could check the pics and details you are talking about ? thanks

In no way there was any 906 frame with square tubes
All chassis nb are well known and such a frame cannot be original and if it's a copy it's a wrong copy !!!!

Front and rear uprights where specific to 904 and then to 906 with slight diferences to fit new calipers etc etc

I found in "Le bon coin" (sort of "french bay") some months ago an add selling
a 906 replica but this one have been deleted recentlyand from what i rember there was not square tube ?

Porsche History is the website, seems to be a form of registry for porsche cars, scroll down to ...1966 906 Carrera 6 #906.023

I am fairly up to speed with 906 stuff as ol Jack Ondrack wasted a considerable amount of my time several years ago while doing stuff on his TVR , he had the bright idea of building a replica 906. Never happened like most of his pipe dreams when a realistic price is established....
However, one thing I do remember from all the literature he furnished was that there were supposedly some prototypes and more than one chassis manufacturer involved before they ( porsche ) committed to a production run. ( chassis were not built 'in house' ) which made me wonder if there may have been a square tube chassis pre production.

Last edited:
Very strange story for a very very strange car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lipsrsealed::huh::stunned::drunk::blank::shifty::uneasy:

Yes, quite a few different items, attached pic is original 906 wheels- alloy rim section rivetted to steel centre- if you enlarge the photos on the website it appears as though the rim sections have been welded to widen them

Last edited:
According the Book from Barth and Trispel about the 906 (unfortunatelly only in german), pre-production cars, with the first chassis number from 906-001 to 906-007 if I'm not wrong were... 904 chassis, used as test bed for the 901/20 carrera 6 engine, and maybe the suspensions which are slightly differents. 906 uses spherical bearings as link for the front wishbones, wherereas, the 904 used rubber bushings.

Production chassis were produced by KarosserieWerk Weinsberg, with all round, thinwalled tubes (the thicker ones are 1.5mm!). Body were produced by a company called BWR.

I am not aware of square tube chassis, excepted one car which is described in the book, as a double chassis number car, and which is also fitted with 911 suspensions, which are, as mentioned before, VERy different from 906's ones.

I am also aware of a replica built in france in the early 90, which was also fitted with 911 suspensions, but I don't know if it was made from square tubes...

Jac Mac, do you, by any chance, kept some documentation about the 906?

Think I still have the ifo sent here somewhere, gathered up some wheels/hubs/chassis drawings, body templates, keep telling myself I should build one powered with Subaru 3.3L six cyl & trans as a road car, problem is I only seem to drive about 5000km per year so its a bit surplus to requirements! Once the tech challenge of building it is/was done it would just take up more w/shop space as I dont see myself returning to the race track with all the PC BS that surrounds it these days.:)

The original 906 were tube frame. If you're looking for a 906 replica, we have them. Go to WerkzCarsDotCom.

Randy

Attachments

• 906 chassis 1.jpg
    906 chassis 1.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 906 Body, Attach 004.jpg
    906 Body, Attach 004.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 890
  • 906 Dec'08 004.jpg
    906 Dec'08 004.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Yes, the USA... and the rest of the world.

Eight 906s have been purchased so far as well as twenty-six 917s. The first two 906s will be in Los Angeles at the end of the year.

Randy

Woww
Good sales !!
Watching the hight level of work for these replicas it's perfectly understandable

Congratulations !!

Back