Porsche Release forks good and bad ones

Hi

i had a clutch release failure this week. I drove the car in mid rain.having a lot of fun. every gearshift the rear of the car snapped sidewards, scaring probably the hell out of the ones which i overtook. It has been very contrallable and provided a lot of fun. Than suddenly in a fast 3rd to 4th shift the clutch fell through and could not be disengaged anymore. As soon i had pressure again, the clutch still would no disengage, instead a grinding noise arrose as soon the pedal was pushed. Beeing 100mls away from home my son had to pick me up with our trailer.

After disassembly it turned out that the release fork and the release bearing nose (all original Porsche parts) has been worn out , allowing the release bearing nose slip out of the fork and thus not beeing engaged anymore.

See the front corner of the release nose is grind off
PICT4536.jpg

Also the surface of the same side on the release fork is grind off
PICT4537.jpg

Allowing the release bearing to slip out of the grip of the release fork
PICT4535.jpg

I will replace the release bearing and the fork.

I have already a replacement fork at home. By comparing the new one to the installed one i found out that there are considerable differences between thos two forks, which make the new on a far better choice.

First the guiding surfaces on the inner side of the fork are much longer on the new fork.
Second the release surfaces are much longer and curvier as well, allowing for much nicer engagement.

New on is the one on the left side
PICT4544.jpg

Side profile of new fork, watch longer guiding and release surfaces
PICT4542.jpg

compare this to the older version ones
PICT4543.jpg

Additionaly the new version has bushing with shoulders allowing less lateral movement of the fork within the bearing bosses of the gearbox.

So if you are about to install or choose your porsche release clutch watch for the ones with the following part number. 950 116 712 3R ; 2 ( second line), this are the better ones

Thanks
TOM

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Errgh ! something doesn't look quite right there ?
see pic:- I like item #s 2,3,10 and 11
I have seen where the shaft comes out --that in turn usually damages / breaks the lugs off the gear box

Attachments

• IMAGE0019.PDF
    567.8 KB · Views: 214
Hey Chris

so you saying i´m using the wrong parts ? All this forks i have came out of G50 boxes. Strange
The part numbers you perfer are the early series ones with smaller diameter axle. Can you scan in the second page as well. THis are the ones with the parts 14, 19 and the related bushings and bearings, this is the next generation version. would be interessted what partnumberthe releasefork 19 has?

THanks
TOM

Last edited:

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The early version is easier on assembly IMO --fit the bearings in the fork, push the shaft in fit the keeper bolt and you're done , the later version --fit inner bearing and seal, juggle with the fork till you get the shaft in then struggle with outer seal and bearing --careful not to pop the needles-- make sure all is well then fit the keeper tab.
Not saying you're wrong :blank:we are just lazy bastard shade tree mechanics:laugh:

Attachments

• IMAGE0046.PDF
    360.7 KB · Views: 172
Back