Powertrain/Transaxles

Hi, I have a ZF transaxle which has been flipped and installed in a GT40 . when I had it assembled some years ago the mechanic left out he bolt that retains the pinion bearing hence the bearing has moved and we need some parts to repair ! I have rung RBT sent emails to 3 different addresses but cannot contact anyone at RBT. can anyone tell me what is going on ? I have been ringing and sending emails for well over a month ! Is there any other place that supplies parts for ZF transaxles as I have an early series 00 and a series 2 that I need parts for !
my car has been off the road for 2 years as I could not find anyone with experience on ZF transaxles finally found a mechanic now cannot get parts, would appreciate any help
Cheers Allan

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, contact Peter Baschtarz in Austria. He’s got connections to ZF and has worked on ZF’s most of his life.

You’ll find him on Facebook and Pantera forums

morten

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
"I have an early series 00" do you mean a zf-0? I had mine looked over by Paul Flemming here in the UK...

It's good to have this information concerning parts for the ZF. I wonder if there are any legal restrictions preventing someone from buying up and restoring ZF boxes for sale. There seems to be a market for someone who would do this and answer the phone/respond to emails.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Are there any internals from the Quaife transaxle that could be used to repair a ZF ?? And if so, would they sell said parts ??

Regards Brian

Are there any internals from the Quaife transaxle that could be used to repair a ZF ?? And if so, would they sell said parts ??

Regards Brian
That's a good question, but as it seems that one of the biggest issues with our cars (I have a Superformance MKII) is getting a ZF and the cost, so the more information that can be gathered and sent out as to alternative sources of the entire box and parts the better. Another idea is for someone with the time and resources to make available for purchase an overall "parts" quide, with info on sources for parts and with pictures of the car and its components in the nature of a service manual. A source could be someone who fits out the cars with engine and transmissions.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
As I understand the Quaife transaxle uses Porsche internals and apart from external dimensions they are completely different animals.

ZF sold the rights to manufacture the ZF to RBT (Roy Butfoy), I'm not sure if that included service parts and a time limit to exclusivity, but there may be some rights infringement to deal with. An electronic copy of the service manual is readily available on eBay. Parts list, exploded diagrams are available on RBT's website.

I recently sold and shipped 2 ZF's to Ron McCall (McCall's Transmission Works, he has rebuilt over 300 now), so that service is available, finding the ZF core to rebuild is key.

Back