Proper oil for ZF?

I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't find anything in the archives. I remember reading on the Pantera board in the '80s that the type of oil used in the ZF boxes was critical unless one wanted to see it all on the garage floor next morning. So, what type/brand should I ask my friendly NAPA guy for to use in a -1 ZF 5DS?
John

hi
from the ZF manual

OIL TYPE

before putting a gearbox into service, the oil container should be filled with oil. Only mild EP gearbox oils of viscosity class SAE80 should be used.

Mild gear oil types are those EP oil grades which in the presence of condensation do not cause corrosion on steel and non-ferrous metal parts and hardening of gaskets and seals. The oils must meet our Lubrication Requirements for ZF Transmission Nr. 13-118.

Under these conditions, EP gear oils SAE 80 corresponding to specification MIL-L2105 (A) can be used. In case of doubt, check with the oil supplier or ask our after sales service for the ZF- Lubrication List for ZF Synchro gearboxes.

First filling capacity 3.5 litres.

Oil change times

First change. 4000 to 5000 Km
Further changes. 16000 to 20000 Km

Regards

Chris Melia.

Thanks Chris. I've Googled everything I can think of to come up with a brand and type that conforms to those requirements, and all I came up with was Castrol Hypoy C SAE 80W-90 limited slip gear oil. I couldn't tell if this works in the old boxes or is just for the newer ones. Has anyone used this or have a different recommendation?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
John,

I use the Castrol 80w90 in my ZF, as it is what was recommended by a ZF expert. I use the one that's labled "Limited Slip" as I was told some ZF's benefit from this and it hurts none. Mine is a 1971.

I was also told that some of the Synthetics don't properly coat gear bits that stick out of the oil as well as "real" oil does which could lead to problems on an infrequently used box.

Mark

Can I ask you ZF experts an opinion on this subject. I have felt for some time that there appears to be a lot of resistance in the operation of the gearchange selector shaft in a ZF 25-2 ( Pantera ) that has been turned over for use in the GT40 (RIGHTHANDSHIFT) The selector shaft is immersed in quite heavy oil, and I feel is subject to a lot of hydraulic resistance when moved in a cross gate (longitudinal rather than rotational ) way, particularly where the shaft enters the ident housing. Any thoughts and improvement suggestions would be greatfully recieved, Frank

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Frank, Please don't hang that expert tag on me but an interesting point you raise.My M1 25-2 that I had the cross shaft housings made for had exactly the characteristics you describe.Because we made the housings I assumed it wasn't normal and the oil drain from the rear of the shaft wasn't big enough hence the hydraulic action.I think we did enlarge the slot in the housing.You could push the shaft in and watch it slowly come out with spring pressure.My new ZF should arrive this week I'll let you know if it exhibits the same characteristic.

Regards Ross

Thanks Ross, I was thinking of a drilling in the housing and taking a (say) dash 4 pipe up to the top plate to balance the pressure - worth trying ? Frank

Back