Questions before jumping into a SLC

First off, thanks fellas for reading this and answering my questions. I've read the wiki guide and it answered many questions but gave me some more as well. The point of building this car would be to win roll race events such as the Texas Invitational, and break the record for the standing half mile (234 mph) while still being able to be a street car. I know I know, these cars are built for track use. However, the light weight and engine over the rear wheels make them great for what I'm wanting to use it for as well.

When I started thinking about going this route I started with the idea of getting an Ultima, but obviously that changed the moment I saw the SLC. Originally, I was planning on putting a TT V8 in the car (leaning towards a Nelson Racing motor), but then I read a TT lambo V10 motor was used at least once already. This would be perfect as I own a TT Lambo making 2000 hp. Would probably be easier to find a stock lambo motor and transmission and put in the lambo and sell it to get extra money for this build. Anyone seen or heard of the car already running the lambo motor? What I love about the V10 is it's very powerful and my fiancé can drive it on the street without any problems or drivability issues. Downside is the torque on these motors suck! Hence still thinking of going the TT V8 route and selling lambo for higher dollar as is. Thoughts regarding fitment issues and drivability issues? I have never owned a domestic so I admit my weak area is knowing the pros and cons of a high hp V8. Hell I'd go with a 3 rotor if it met my goals.

I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. I see the needed options are the extended drivers footbox, dropped floor pans, standard seat mount brackets, and single shell factory seats. Anything else I should know to give more head and leg room in these cars?

Are the Penske shocks worth the extra money?

Will the car hold up at 230+ mph? Will the street tail give enough downforce so I don't have to add a wing adding drag?

Final question for now. I've never seen a SLC in person, but I keep hearing kit cars always look cheap. How do you guys feel about that? Do you feel it looks cheap when parked next to a lambo or Ferrari?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
JMHO, but I think it's not realistic to build a SLC, or any other car, to go that fast and still have the fit and finish of a Ferrari, and be still be a 'street car'. If you want to go 230+ mph, unless you have a death wish, you're going to need a full cage, window nets, fire system, drag chute, and all the other race car safety gear. Forget about leather dashboard, carpet, stereo system, a/c, or anything else that doesn't make it go faster.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
As Pete said that kind of speed requires a build thats designed for the job.
Aero gets very important at those speeds too and must be a basic and integral part if the package .

Last edited:
When you say "The point of building this car would be to win roll race events such as the Texas Invitational, and break the record for the standing half mile (234 mph)" and then ask "Are the Penske shocks worth the extra money?" makes me wonder if this was written by a thirteen year old Korean child playing with dads computer.

Final question for now. I've never seen a SLC in person, but I keep hearing kit cars always look cheap. How do you guys feel about that? Do you feel it looks cheap when parked next to a lambo or Ferrari?

Based on the attention that my SLC got a a car show recently when parked next to a Lamborghini roadster, I don't think so.

20150823_073740_zpsdsnkxr1v.jpg

They can be made as nice as an OEM car. There are many SLCs that look really good. In fact, one for sale on eBay has an offer to trade for a Ferrari California, IIRC.

JMHO, but I think it's not realistic to build a SLC, or any other car, to go that fast and still have the fit and finish of a Ferrari, and be still be a 'street car'. If you want to go 230+ mph, unless you have a death wish, you're going to need a full cage, window nets, fire system, drag chute, and all the other race car safety gear. Forget about leather dashboard, carpet, stereo system, a/c, or anything else that doesn't make it go faster.

I believe with the proper work and attention to detail it can be done. The Lamborghini I currently own does it just fine. I want to build a stripped down version basically. I don't need leather dash, or carpet, or stereo.... When I say street car I mean only in drivability.

As Pete said that kind of speed requires a build thats designed for the job.
Aero gets very important at those speeds too and must be a basic and integral part if the package .

But can it be done? You now better than I. If you say there's no chance I'll find another platform.

When you say "The point of building this car would be to win roll race events such as the Texas Invitational, and break the record for the standing half mile (234 mph)" and then ask "Are the Penske shocks worth the extra money?" makes me wonder if this was written by a thirteen year old Korean child playing with dads computer.

I guarantee you I'm not a 13 year old. lol You misunderstood my point.
From what I read the shocks that come with the car are very good. Thus if they're that good is it worth the extra money. Get what I'm saying?

These 1/2 mile and roll racing events are dominated by GTRs, Lambos, vipers, supras, and occasional vette. I want to break that up a little. I'm the kind of person that likes to break the mold and do something different and break some ultima records along the way ;)

Based on the attention that my SLC got a a car show recently when parked next to a Lamborghini roadster, I don't think so.
PICTURE

They can be made as nice as an OEM car. There are many SLCs that look really good. In fact, one for sale on eBay has an offer to trade for a Ferrari California, IIRC.

Al, the only question I have for you is how the hell is your front spoiler looking so damn clean? I feel like i scrape mine on damn near everything!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Life is a compromise boys ....

There are a couple of twin turbo and supercharged SLCs being built out there that share my vision wink

Comparing an SLC to a street car is like comparing a Cessna Citation or Learjet to the SR71 Blackbird.

Sure the others are cool but that big black airplane just sends chills up your spine.

I bought mine fresh out of Fran Hall's Skunk works, ......:thumbsup:

Isn't this a case of "anything is possible...for a price"?

The Veyron does 250mph or so and has nice appointments inside. It's also in the 7 figures.

Racing is always a "how fast can you afford to go" question, until one reaches the point available funds exceed available talent.*chuckle*

The point of building this car would be to win roll race events such as the Texas Invitational, and break the record for the standing half mile (234 mph) while still being able to be a street car.
Each of those goals will compromise the other. Personally, I wouldn't want a compromised car at 230+mph. You will also compete against cars that have been built with only one of them in mind.
What I love about the V10 is it's very powerful and my fiancé can drive it on the street without any problems or drivability issues. Downside is the torque on these motors suck!
You're going to need big power for the half mile, which implies big turbos. If you want more power at lower revs (which is what I assume you mean by torque), then you need smaller turbos. Porsche introduced sequential turbocharging on the 959, which could be an (expensive) option, although there isn't a huge amount of space for turbos and enough intercooling.
Hence still thinking of going the TT V8 route and selling lambo for higher dollar as is.
Probably best to use cheaper components - if you're pushing big power, they will break or wear sooner or later.
Will the car hold up at 230+ mph? Will the street tail give enough downforce so I don't have to add a wing adding drag?
Fran may know, but I've not heard of any going quite so fast. I would expect to have to pay for aerodynamic consultancy and modifications to keep the car stable at those speeds - certainly something that the factory should be able to help with, at a price. If you want to be competitive, your budget needs to be too.

It's great to see someone pushing the envelope. Good luck!

Back