Quick release for a Moto-Lita steering wheel

Hi guys. I did some searching and couldn't find quite what I was looking for, although this post came close - particularly the useful information provided by Andrew Fordyce:

OEM Steering Wheels

I have decided that my car will have a quick-release steering wheel as a safety feature to facilitate ingress/egress and as a theft deterrent. The quick release will use spline drive rather than a hex drive, and ring release rather than pin release. It will also be as short as possible. Hershal had recommended that I look into the products made by these guys but their bolt pattern is for Momo and Sparco wheels and isn't available for 9-hole Moto Lita bolt pattern.

By the way, maybe I misrepresented the Moto-Lita bolt pattern to these guys in my email. My steering wheel has three pieces: (1) the wheel itself, which is attached to (2) an aluminum hub with 9 cap screws, and (3) a steel adapter with female splines which mates with the steering column on one side and which attaches on the other side to the aluminum hub via 6 cap screws. When I talk to a vendor of quick disconnects, do I give them the 9-hole bolt circle or do I give them the 6-hole bolt circle? Am I mis-naming any of the steering wheel parts?

The link that Andrew provided in the OEM steering wheel post does not work. Both Demon Tweeks and SUmmit offer a variety of quick disconmnects but I don't know which one, if any, will work best with my RF-supplied column and Moto-Lita wheel. Do I need to ask Frank Catt to machine a special adapter for my setup? Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may have.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark, measure the spline diameter and number of splines of the steering shaft, then, order the adapter that fits those measurements. The most important thing is getting the piece that goes on the shaft correct as it'll be welded onto the shaft.

Then, you want to mount your wheel onto the piece that plugs onto the bit that you welded on the shaft. So, you want to give them the bolt pattern for your wheel. That can always be adapted later with a ring if all else fails.

It sounds complicated, but isn't. You shouldn't need any special machined bits as the Moto-Lita bolt pattern is common adn the RF column came from a mass produced automobile I'm sure.

R

Hi Frank,

I was hoping you'd reply to this thread. What do I need, how much is it going to cost, and how soon can I get it?

:)

I tried to send this message to you via PM but you've been a naughty boy and let your PM mailbox get all cluttered up. If you like, you can email me your phone number and a good time to call so we can have a chat.

mark dot worthington at gmail dot com

Frank and Mark,

I am also in need of the same type quick release for the RF wheel. Mark as you speak to Frank and get the information would you please shoot me an email or post if possable.

Thanks Peter

Mark / Peter, See attached pic of finished front of unit, the quick release unit is designed to fit the standard Mota Lita steering wheel, has custom made front and rear adaptors to fit to a SPA quck release steering mechanism, with a splined spigot shaft that is welded onto the end of your existing column, not useing the splines you already have. About $500 not including the badge, or carriage.

Attachments

• pic15724.jpg
    pic15724.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 733
My RF-supplied Moto Lita wheel has 9 bolts rather than the six on yours, Frank. Is this an unusual variant? Peter, does your RF Moto Lita wheel look like mine?

IMG_0568.jpg

Steering column end has a 5/8" 36-spline.

Mark and frank,

I did not dissasemble the wheel on RF80 but it seems to be the unit Frank shows in his picture with 6 screws. This caused me to look back on my build site for RF90 because I throught it had more screws. As it turns out the wheel on RF90 was like yours Mark with 9 screws.

Peter

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mark,

There is a German made, very nice quick release for the moto-lita, that we plan to carry in the GT40s.com Store. (I also adapted it to my Momo wheel with off the shelf parts.) It doubles as a secutity device as you will see (engagement pins are computer set with a wide variety of placements so that only your wheel will work with your quick release.)

In the meantime see raid automotive concepts.

Regards,
Lynn

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hi Mark, I recently modified my same wheel(last Month). I ordered a fine spline quick release hub from Summit Racing and enlarged the splined hole. Then drilled the mating holes through the modified hub being carefull to center. Then removed (chop saw)the threaded portion of the steering shaft and welded the male splined portion of the quick release. Works beautifully!
I can provide more details if you like. Regards, Jim

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

There is a German made, very nice quick release for the moto-lita, that we plan to carry in the GT40s.com Store. (I also adapted it to my Momo wheel with off the shelf parts.) It doubles as a secutity device as you will see (engagement pins are computer set with a wide variety of placements so that only your wheel will work with your quick release.)

In the meantime see raid automotive concepts.

Regards,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Do you have any idea when the unit will be available in the GT40s.com store?

Thanks,

Tony M.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Tony,

I don't have an exact date yet. We are still identifying suppliers and defining the business models we will use for the Store.

If you need one immediately, do a google on the words: Snap Off steering

Regards,
Lynn

Back