Racing pad recommendations

Having trouble getting the right pad to work for trackdays on a SPF with Wilwood Superlight 4R calipers. BP20's I've cooked even with 600 degree fluid and front ducts. Bias took a bit of adjustment, but seems OK now. B pads grab nicely, but can't eliminate severe squeal and vibration. I've done all the usual tips to eliminate pad residue from sanding them to having rotors resurfaced. Front runout is .004" both sides. My Lotus Europa also runs B pads which work great for trackdays. Those rotors also have .004" runout and had some initial vibration, but cleaned up quickly. Is there a pad between BP20 and B or other trackday recommendations?

Howard Jones

Supporter
I run B's on the front and C's on the rear at the track. I change to Q's on the street. All Wilwood pads. The B,C combo does make some noise and work very well once hot, but be careful when cold. I don't attempt to cool via ducting for the short runs typical at open track events and have never overheated them. You only really get about 6-8 hard laps in a row anyway.

I am running 4 piston superlights both front and rear on street tires. I am very seldom out braked.

You may want to try CL Brakes sintered pads RC 6 E for track use and Ferodo super formula brake fluid . The CL pads do not seem to build up pad material on disc face causing vibration like other pad brands. Most racing pads will squeal becuase of the amount of metal in the matrix.

Try Ferodo DS 3000 on the fr and a 2500 on the rear, i have run that combo for a while now after experimenting with god knows how many different pad types, the performance is outstanding and disc wear is minimal.

Cheers John

I run DS2500 ferodo on the front street and track
Very happy.

Dave do you have slotted rotors,under heavy braking you generate gas under the pad and it feels very much like runout on the rotors.
Slots expel the gas.

Jim

Dave:

What brake discs are you running? Curved or straight vane? How many vanes? I know Coleman always used 32 vanes, AP makes a 60 vane J hook disc that pump a whole bunch of air so they cool better. There is a photo of them on my build thread.

Back