RCR Formula/Open Wheel Car?

Does RCR have a true open wheel formula type race car in the works?
Who thinks that would be a good idea?

Personally, I think it would be quite bitchin' :thumbsup:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Howard Jones

Supporter
The main issues with true open wheel cars (no motorcycle fenders) is that They can't be run on the street without fenders. AND most track day type events won't run them with fender cars. That kind of leaves them to real racing and in most cases the current crop of racecars have quite a head start on a new design/company.

I would guess that it would be hard to make money producing a new design Formula Ford for example. Lots of up front cost and a large number of units to finance before breaking even. The only way would be to build a limmited number, kick everybodys ass and then try to sell them.

Lots of risk and little prospect of reward.

The main issues with true open wheel cars (no motorcycle fenders) is that They can't be run on the street without fenders. AND most track day type events won't run them with fender cars. That kind of leaves them to real racing and in most cases the current crop of racecars have quite a head start on a new design/company.

I would guess that it would be hard to make money producing a new design Formula Ford for example. Lots of up front cost and a large number of units to finance before breaking even. The only way would be to build a limmited number, kick everybodys ass and then try to sell them.

Lots of risk and little prospect of reward.

Thanks for your insight. The issues regarding offering a true open wheel experience are far too great (w/ racing) and it wouldn't be even close to steetable. It seems like the few offerings like Lola and others for chassis, well, theirs a reason

Another good reason to live in NZ, If you become a member of a Hot Rod club and build it yourself you can register and drive your fenderless creation on our roads------ however that exemption will only apply to you while the car is in your ownership, it cannot be passed on to the next owner's.
I doubt however that our motorsport institutions would allow mixed fields of this nature, other than the drag race fraternity who are supposed to stick to their own lane:)

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm. I remember a lot of Model A hotrods "back in the day" that did not have fenders. Did the law change at some point?

And what about sand rails? I see a lot of VW based sand buggies that are street legal, no fenders there.

I think a F1 style car on the street would be a HOOT!

Cheers from Doug!

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I actually have a Hot Rod that is all custom, but based on a 1971 Lola Indycar. It has the original Lola suspension, wings, etc. It has a mid-engine 383 SBC stroker motor and a ZF transaxle. I have the original Lola wheels but prefer to run Centerlines on it. It is open-wheel, and the rear tires are Hoosiers and about 18" wide. It is actually registered, in Oregon, as a '71 Lola. When I drive it for any distance, I wear a full-face helmet. It really freaks people out, so much so that it almost causes accidents. It has won multiple awards at car shows for "Most Unique," "Best Exotic," and of course "Most Radical."

There is nothing like flying down the freeway in an open-wheel Indycar!

David

My Nemesis is street legal and a blast to drive...makes you want to drive like a teenager again though....

The 20 millisecond paddleshift is really fun too....

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm. I remember a lot of Model A hotrods "back in the day" that did not have fenders. Did the law change at some point?

Just like the registration process, every state makes their own rules. It was at one point, and may still be so, that weight played a factor in whether you HAD to run fenders or not. I think was in the area of 1500lbs, but that is just an area, I can't recall the eaxct amount. It would, of course, be different from state to state.

I'd like to see this!
You just HAVE to share a few pictures!
Pleeeaaase

I actually have a Hot Rod that is all custom, but based on a 1971 Lola Indycar. It has the original Lola suspension, wings, etc. It has a mid-engine 383 SBC stroker motor and a ZF transaxle. I have the original Lola wheels but prefer to run Centerlines on it. It is open-wheel, and the rear tires are Hoosiers and about 18" wide. It is actually registered, in Oregon, as a '71 Lola. When I drive it for any distance, I wear a full-face helmet. It really freaks people out, so much so that it almost causes accidents. It has won multiple awards at car shows for "Most Unique," "Best Exotic," and of course "Most Radical."

There is nothing like flying down the freeway in an open-wheel Indycar!

David

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think the way it works in California is if in the year that the car was first sold as new, fenders were not required, then it gets grandfathered. Model T's etc. New cars, at least for several decades have had to have fenders. Maybe I'll look this up. I might be wrong.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
LolaIndycar.jpg

David,
That has got to be the sickest thing for the street I have seen in a long time. You are a true nutcase and an asset to the gearhead cause. Guess it's pretty certain that NOBODY can stay with that thing on a twisty mountain road, eh? I would have crashed just trying to get a second look if I ever ran across it in Oregon, that's for sure. The gas pump jockeys must really get a grin on when they see you pulling up (you can't pump your own gas in Oregon).

Thanks for sharing
Got any more pics for us?

Back