RCR40 Air Con

Dave Collins

Supporter
I have been asked how much refrigerant it takes to fill a typical RCR40 aircon setup. Does anyone have any information on the volume used on their car?

Thanks in advance

Dave

The performance of a system will vary depending on the ambient air temperature onto the condenser, for one factor. The charge weight can be varied from the generally accepted starting point (speaking generally) to find a happy medium between insufficient refrigerant (so cannot operate to maximum cooling) and too much, so the compressor keeps tripping out on high head pressure. You can measure the supply air temperature off the evaporator into the cabin and adjust the charge up and down slightly until you get the best (coolest) consistent reading. That is your optimum charge.

The performance of a system will vary depending on the ambient air temperature onto the condenser, for one factor. The charge weight can be varied from the generally accepted starting point (speaking generally) to find a happy medium between insufficient refrigerant (so cannot operate to maximum cooling) and too much, so the compressor keeps tripping out on high head pressure. You can measure the supply air temperature off the evaporator into the cabin and adjust the charge up and down slightly until you get the best (coolest) consistent reading. That is your optimum charge.

Is that only in Earth orbit?

Ron Earp

Admin
Regardless of what AC system, to set it up well just buy a set of AC gauges. They aren't that expensive, maybe $80-$100 a set, and you can use them for your daily driver as well when it needs a refrigerant recharge.

Chuck

Supporter
Here is the text of an old post from our blog. A year later it still works great. No leaks. No issues.

With the weather getting warm it was time to get the AC system operating. The AC system was charged at our local automotive repair shop. A vacuum was applied to the system to make sure it was dry. Next one and a half ounces of PAG 150 oil was added to the system to make up for that which drained out when the lines were connected to the compressor. Two pounds of R134A were needed. No bubbles were visible in the sight glass on the dryer when it was fully charged.

A drain line runs from the unit to through the fire wall and drains just forward of the fire wall. Seeing a nice puddle of water under the car after a drive is so reassuring – means it is really working!!

We have taken several evening rides in 85 degree, 90% humidity and the AC does a good job. If the sources of air intrusion, like the door bottoms, were sealed it would be even better. But that is a story for another day.

Dave Collins

Supporter
Chuck thanks for the info. I must admit I did not trawl through your extensive reference blog, only a quick forum search which did not show up what I was after.

Hopethe car is still going well, I always watch with interest the work you are doing.

Dave

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
When I charged mine I used two cans of R134A. The cans were the type that had 2oz of oil and 14 oz of R134A. It works great even on the warmest day. As Chuck said there is a lot of air comming in around the doors so when you drive it is always on.........
Keith

Back