rear glass replacement

when i ordered my tornado 40 , i whent with a rear glass not acrylic.
i was wrong, the glass started to crack ,
my question is , is it possible to cut the rear glass out of flat polycarbonate?
thanks

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yes, I did many years ago. No problems yet. I used the original glass as a template and had it made at Tap plastics.

Hi Icecube76, you can cut the rear engine cover from polycarbonate (lexan) sheet. It is actually the only plastic that will take the heat of the motor. When fastened down, it takes the shape of the body so no pre-forming is necessary. They make hard-coated lexan called Mar-Guard or MR10, which is more scratch resistant but also costs more. To keep the body vibration from scratching the plastic, I used small o-rings between the plastic and the body. They are not visable and stops the "drumming" sound coming from the plastic.

Thanks,
Mark C.

Pat

Supporter
+1 on the MARGARD II or MR10. I use it form my side windows. It also doesn't fog/yellow like acrylics. Mine came with a 10 year warranty.

Thank you for the help.
i will tray to make a template tonight then cut it from MR10 sheet.
amhotrodglass.com makes acrylic wind shields i am thinking of louvers rear glass.
will that help air circulation in that area?

Hi IceCube76, I cut plastic with 36 teeth per inch fine metal cutting blades in my saber saw. This leaves a smooth edge with no "heat buggers" (technical term). After cutting you just run your fingers along the edge and it is clean. The blades are available from Lowes in Bosch brand in a pack of four for about $7. Just glide the saber saw over the plastic without pressing down and keep the protective film on until mounted to keep the piece scratch free.

Mark C.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I use a squire bottle with water to keep the blade cool as I cut plastic.
I also put tape on the jig saw to keep it from scratching the plastic.
You can cut plastic on your table saw and finish the curved cut with the jig saw.

Dwight

Thank you for the help.
i will tray to make a template tonight then cut it from MR10 sheet.
amhotrodglass.com makes acrylic wind shields i am thinking of louvers rear glass.
will that help air circulation in that area?

Do you want louvers in this area?, depending on how they are formed and laid out air flow over the car at speed might result in air pressure being lowered in that intake/carb area which should ideally be sealed off from all the rest of the engine bay....engines need all the cool/dense intake air they can get, don't create an airflow starvation problem.

Back