Rear suspension upgrade for a KCC chassis.

Hi,
My car is a KCC chassis with Granada suspension. Are there any fabricators in South Africa that would be able to assist me in building an a-frame setup? Or any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sitting with the same situation. I am also located in Middelburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa. I absolutely hate that that grasshopper rear with the butchered Granada trailing arms. I even bought a C-Class Mercedes rear suspension in the hope that it could be made to work or at at least serve as parts donor i.e. disc brakes with incorporated handbrake.
Benjamin Workshop on Youtube provided some insight on how he built his own rear suspension, although I have to make my own deductions since the narrative in in French! Quite good but he is overqualified and has all the tools!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Racking the grey matter here, there was John Botha in the Joburg area from memory who had a conversion for KVA or KCC chassis to the correct trailing arms.

then GTD, now defunct did conversions to KVA cars in the U.K.
and I believe Southern GT also converted a few KVA cars to their year end set up….this manufacturer was recently sold to AKSports Cars, so perhaps reach out to them….they may make a cradle you ccould have welded in

Ian

Last edited:

Adrian Starling

Supporter
Hi,
My car is a KCC chassis with Granada suspension. Are there any fabricators in South Africa that would be able to assist me in building an a-frame setup? Or any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Dewald and Montie, I am brand new to the forum and I would really like to hear if you made any headway on the KCC suspension replacement/upgrade. I am in the same position and would be interested if you make any progress!

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Try contacting CAV in Capetown. They may be able to help you with uprights, wishbones and trailing arms etc.
Cheers
Mike

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Adrian. There’s tons of information on this site and very willing members to help with advice.

Enjoy the forum !!

Regards Brian

Adrian Starling

Supporter
Try contacting CAV in Capetown. They may be able to help you with uprights, wishbones and trailing arms etc.
Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike, I have spoken to Jordi at CAV and asked the question as I need the work carried out by a third party ( as my skills are not up to scratch!) and my car is in SA and I am in the UK.

Last edited:

Adrian Starling

Supporter
Welcome to GT40S Adrian. There’s tons of information on this site and very willing members to help with advice.

Enjoy the forum !!

Regards Brian
Hi Brian, thank you very much and the site is a fountain of really incredible GT40 information and I am really enjoying reading the vast array of content and also the friendliness and helpfulness shown by the members! I have a lot to learn and am really looking forward to the ride!

Last edited:
Hi there sitting in the same boat, Im in PTA. Did ask Jordi aswell sounds like they dont whant to get involved with the kcc kit.

Adrian Starling

Supporter
Hi there sitting in the same boat, Im in PTA. Did ask Jordi aswell sounds like they dont whant to get involved with the kcc kit.
Hi Christo, please share some pics of your car! I am making progress but not there yet but I will certainly keep you updated. Cape Town seems to be the place for fabrication for GT40’S In SA! Check out this great build -

perhaps one lead... when I was training Audi technicians in Joburg (2007-2008) I went to VW spares (jet park Boksburg near airport) to buy in those days a Go)-Tech injection ecu , I was invited to visit their giro copter business , and next door they where building GT40. replicas... I believe it was Bailey in those days? ask around...
and the Ultima chassis is (was?) also build in those days their ...
Paul

Neil

Supporter
Sitting with the same situation. I am also located in Middelburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa. I absolutely hate that that grasshopper rear with the butchered Granada trailing arms. I even bought a C-Class Mercedes rear suspension in the hope that it could be made to work or at at least serve as parts donor i.e. disc brakes with incorporated handbrake.
Benjamin Workshop on Youtube provided some insight on how he built his own rear suspension, although I have to make my own deductions since the narrative in in French! Quite good but he is overqualified and has all the tools!
If you are up to adapting these rear uprights to your chassis, they might be suitable. They are a pair of cast aluminum uprights that were spares for a Ferrari GTU race car. I bought them from Joe Huffaker in California for my black Mirage homebuilt but I wound up using 5- link Porsche 996 rear uprights instead. The uprights are NOS and the hubs use Porsche-style Rzeppa CV joints. I can supply a set of Timken hub bearings as well.
These drawings and photos show the rear uprights and ancillary items but there are also other items such as front uprights, suspension arms, rod-ends, etc that are NOT included. I will try to find better photos of the the rear uprights. $925 for uprights, hubs, & misc but not including the bearings.

The car that these were used as spares for is shown here in a photos.
huffaker2.jpg

1079470632lh.jpg
100_0004.jpg
100_0008.jpg
100_0009.jpg
1079470632lh.jpg

Back