Rear sway bar original MK1 road cars

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Were the rear sway bars on the original cars adjustable? it looks as if they are not. Anyone know their diameter?

Thanks

Hi David,

They weren't adjustable. From memory, I think the road car ones were 9/16" and the race cars possibly 5/8". I have 3 originals one of which is 3/4", I'd have to check the diameter of the others.

Regards,

Graham.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Didnt the ends of the sway bars have a lug with holes drilled to move the attachment point closer/further away from the centre of rotation to effectively increase decrease the stiffness of the sway bar. Photo from Gelsco 'Mirage' build log.

1652878604804.png

Didnt the ends of the sway bars have a lug with holes drilled to move the attachment point closer/further away from the centre of rotation to effectively increase decrease the stiffness of the sway bar. Photo from Gelsco 'Mirage' build log.

View attachment 122769

Hi Doc,

Sort of. With the Gulf cars they took the original, non-adjustable anti-roll bars and welded on metal strips similar to the above. MkIIs were different again but I know David was asking about the MkI.

Regards,

Graham.

They mounted on the inboard end of the toe adjuster on the lower reverse a arm. Moving the pivot point on that towards the centre of the car changes the leverage ratio so they were somewhat adjustable.

They mounted on the inboard end of the toe adjuster on the lower reverse a arm. Moving the pivot point on that towards the centre of the car changes the leverage ratio so they were somewhat adjustable.

Sorry Ryan, that's not correct: there's no scope for that sort of adjustment and it the change would be so small as to be negligible.

Regards,

Graham.

Back