Rear uprights - fabrication plans

Hi

I'm currently researching a scratch build 40, and looking at what to do for the rear uprights.

I don't have the capability to produce cast uprights so fabricating them out of mild steel would appear the easiest approach.

I know some of the GTDs have fabricated uprights with Granada hubs, so I guess this would be a good starting point.

Just wondered if anyone has some suitable plans?

Thanks for any thoughts
James

James,

P7171498.jpg

P7171499.jpg

Rear%20uprights%200122.JPG

Rear%20uprights%200121.JPG

View attachment Upright rear drawing.pdf

Here are some pics and a drawing, I found on this site. the drawing is for a cast upright, but you can get the main dimensions from it. I think the drawing is from the gentleman, who is building the stainless steel GT 40 chassis, but im not sure...

I hope this helps

mick

Hi James,

Ive just found this in my collection..

Its for a KVA, I would imagine its for a Granada hub, but im not positive

GT40KVACsusp.jpg

mick

Great, thanks Mick.

Some really useful info there. Done a search on that last diagram and found it was used here. There are a few photos and some more details like what plate was used etc. All good stuff!

Cheers
James

Hi James.
When you say a scratch build are you saying make everything yourself ?
I have built 6 cars now so I think I have a small amount of know how and I would and have built a chassis, but important items like uprights that hold on those round things of ally and rubber I think not. I know it can be done steel being easy to fabricate and weld but heavy and frankly ugly,
There are people like Frank Catt, SGT and J,Wisher who make them and there tried and tested. Purely my opinion but some bits buy in ready to fit.
Scratch builds usually take many years, great to know you did it yourself but can have the effect of loosing interest due to years of thinking and doing.
Often more costly in the end as well.
Nevertheless keep on posting mate
Regards

Hi Keith

Six cars is pretty impressive! I've previously built a robin hood kit car and ready for another challenge. I like the idea of scratch building and I'm not in any rush to get something on the road. A 10 year project length would be just fine. I'd want to purchase a body but would like to make as much of the other stuff as possible. Although if it's something more complex like the pedal box then would likely want to purchase that off the shelf. But things like rear uprights look reasonably straight forward to fabricate. So as long as I'm comfortable from a safety point of view, then I'll be happy.

The time planning, pondering, researching, thinking, designing, re-designing, building, tweaking etc is part of the attraction. I'm sure it will drive me nuts at times, but hopefully the thought of the finished car should keep me on track!

Cheers
James

The time planning, pondering, researching, thinking, designing, re-designing, building, tweaking etc is part of the attraction. I'm sure it will drive me nuts at times, but hopefully the thought of the finished car should keep me on track!

James,
Go and see my build then... even though I have a GTD chassis, I have done some things myself and used Mick and others parts/input to progress in other areas...plus mine is taking about 1200% longer than Keith's... my first post on my build log was way back in 2005.... :shy:

You don't have to follow the build manual exactly, and many of the manufactiurers will help you in your thoughts as well. I mean look at Trevor Summers's build. I think he quoted at one point he would follow the build manual exactly, now he's off doing all kinds of things to get it the way he wants it to look.

Brett

Thanks Brett. Yep, had a good look through your build thread! I think a build should be measured on how much you are enjoying it rather than how much time it takes. I took 7 years for the robin hood (but did move house, change jobs a couple of times and had 2 children and only went into the garage when I really wanted too - excuses, excuses!). So in the few years since 2005 I think you've achieved a great deal. And you don't look too far off being on the road which must be tremendously exciting!

I've see Trevor's build log too. If I was to apply as much attention to detail as Trevor is doing I'd probably have to measure the build length in decades rather than years! That's going to be one fine 40.

Cheers

Hi James

Fabricated steel uprights dont have to be ....Heavy, or Ugly.....

Here are some pics of the uprights from the Lotus 78. The first Formula 1 ground effects car.

I think they are made from 16 swg

P1010062.JPG

P1010112.JPG

P1010114.JPG

P1010109.JPG

Im not suggesting you make them, exactly the same as these, but they are very intresting pics......and will give you some good ideas.....

mick

Hi James,
I can see the attraction and the self satisfaction of manufacturing parts, I have done it on many of my old motorcyle restorations where parts are just not available for 1920's Nortons.
If you have the time this is great and look forward to seeing you progress through the many years you plan for the project.
There are many good people to get advise from but be aware some of them as well as being wise are old and may be dead by the time you finish.... Sorry Frank I wasn't hinting at you !!
Keep the posts coming, Cheers
Keith

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks for all the steel upright postings. The ones I built were strictly for function and quick fabriction, but are also strictly speaking...ugly. Once I get the car finished, these posting will provide some motivation to fabricate new ones (being the aluminum fabrication of such is outside my reach at the moment).

Do speak with Mick Sollis at Southern GT - he has done a lot of development on the GTD setup and has his own styles of steel fabricated rear uprights. I purchased one set from him (with his complete 'Southern GT' rear end) for one of my own projects a year or so ago and these worked a treat.

Attachments

• fk2.jpg
    fk2.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 1,555
  • fk3.jpg
    fk3.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 1,499

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Jasmes, I agree with Mickky3 on the heavy or ugly part, our fabricated steel uprights are lighter than most cast aluminum parts, will accept any combination of brakes you can fit in the wheels and have had zero failures in use on the road or track. Took a long time to refine, if I can help in any way feel free to call or text. Cheers

Attachments

• HPIM2239.JPG
    HPIM2239.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,662
  • CMHPIM2010.jpg
    CMHPIM2010.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 1,777
Great - thanks Ian

Those uprights look pretty good to me. With fabricating the front uprights as well I guess you can make sure you get the geometry you want.
Cheers

Back