rear wheel bearing

I need help! My rear wheel bearings need replacement as they have been damaged.Does anybody know the brand/manufacturer for them for my CAV No 51. The guys working on my car thought they might be a BMW part, but this proved to be incorrect.

There is probably a part number on the old bearing, you can contact King Bearing in Orange County(CA) and they can cross reference it for you.

I have managed to obtain the correct bearing for my CAV. But another problem has been highlighted.
The rear upright on one side has not been machined properly, so that the CV does not sit in the recess in the upright correctly. I have seen the upright myself and it appears that on one side of the recess there is hardly any lip.
Have any of you guys out there experienced something similar.

I experienced the exact same problem, and regardless of being machined correctly or not, there is not much of a lip to retain the bearing in my opinion. I had spun the outer race on the left side and could hear a noise while cornering. I could jack the car up and rock the wheel assembly back and forth. The bearing bore was not tight enough and allowed the outer race to rock back and forth in the casting. I ended up ordering a new upright from CAV. My car is a very early chassis from the original CAV company, but Jean with the new CAV was very helpful. Jean has redesigned the upright and I almost bought two new ones, but finally elected to just replace the one in the original configuration.

My problem was discovered when I took my CAV (No. 51) for suspension geometry set-up. The front and the left rear posed no problem, but in the left rear there was too much play for an accurate geometry set-up. When the hub was removed we found that the bearing had been damaged so we replaced it, but the excessive play was still present.How much for a new rear upright.

I am happy to report that my rear wheel bearing/upright problems have been solved.It required some machining work on the upright.

The recess on the upright into which the cv joint fits had not been machined properly; there was a bigger lip on one side. Machining was carried out to rectify this. Hope this helps.

Back