Recommend size for Pirelli tires on ALL four corners

Ok, I have the 15" wheels and I want a good tire to ride on the street. I have read all the posts on tires (and there are a lot). Can someone recommend a set of Pirelli's or others for my RCR. The car has the two inch flares. I keep finding a company that makes tires for the back but they don't have a proper size for the front. I am looking for a matching set. I'm not a fan of the radial TA's or the Firestones. I want to be able to drive with spirit on the road. I thought of the Goodyear blue streaks but they are a race tire. The Avon's seem a bit steep in price but I do like the vintage look!

Thank you for providing clarity to my confusing world of tires!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I run Kumho's on mine
Front and rear both 15 inch rims (8 and 10 inch)

that said although they are a both V rated tyres the tread pattern front and rear does not match

But the big plus is you get all four for the price of 1 avon

Ian

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This has been a headache for all of us. The BFGs do make sizes for the front and the rear, but they are lousy tires and don't stick. The only maker who does the same brand for front and rear seems to be Hoosier or Avon- there are also high-zoot Michelins, but they cost even more than the Avons do. As far as tread matching, there are, I think, some Toyos out there that look like the Goodyear Gforce I am running on the front. Good luck. This one has defied all the best brains on this forum.

Jim/chatas1,
Get a copy of "JEGS" speed parts and look in the back/tire section. As mentioned you can run the Hoosier DOT Quick Time Drag tires. They have a period tread very similar to the Avons and stick like snot! (and are about 1/2 the cost) The front tire is a 245/60 15 with an 8inch tread/26.1diam. Rears with flairs I would go with 295/50s or 325/50s. The 295s are 27inch tall, and the 325s are almost 28inches tall.

If your gearing is high/rpm at freeway speeds definately go with the taller tire. I ran them on my cobra when I had 15s and they were great! (dicey in the rain, but any wide tire is going to be that way) I am stepping up to 15X14s on the rear and will be running these tires or the M/T Sportsman Pro series. The M@H Racemaster radials are also a good choice for the rear, and you can mix with a yoko on the front for similar grip. Have fun, Scott

Jim/chatas1,
Get a copy of "JEGS" speed parts and look in the back/tire section. As mentioned you can run the Hoosier DOT Quick Time Drag tires. They have a period tread very similar to the Avons and stick like snot! (and are about 1/2 the cost) The front tire is a 245/60 15 with an 8inch tread/26.1diam. Rears with flairs I would go with 295/50s or 325/50s. The 295s are 27inch tall, and the 325s are almost 28inches tall.

If your gearing is high/rpm at freeway speeds definately go with the taller tire. I ran them on my cobra when I had 15s and they were great! (dicey in the rain, but any wide tire is going to be that way) I am stepping up to 15X14s on the rear and will be running these tires or the M/T Sportsman Pro series. The M@H Racemaster radials are also a good choice for the rear, and you can mix with a yoko on the front for similar grip. Have fun, Scott

Thanks Scott. Will the 245's fit up front? I thought I read that most go with a 215 60 15 tire. The Hoosiers do look cool. Even though they are a drag radial, do they handle in the curves?

Appreciate your help!

I run Kumho's on mine
Front and rear both 15 inch rims (8 and 10 inch)

that said although they are a both V rated tyres the tread pattern front and rear does not match

But the big plus is you get all four for the price of 1 avon

Ian

Ian,

What size are you Kumho's I can find anything close to the size I need? 295's and 215's. I went to tire rack and the Kumho site. What type of Kumho tire are you running? Thanks

Chatas1,
They handled fine on my cobra, very sticky! If you read the rim specs, it says 7-8 inches I think. (should fit, I ran them on my cobra with 8inch rims) Anyway, if stock size is 215, you are only going roughly a little more than one inch wider on tread. (it is the sectional width that is wider than the tread) Scott

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

What size are you Kumho's I can find anything close to the size I need? 295's and 215's. I went to tire rack and the Kumho site. What type of Kumho tire are you running? Thanks

Jim
From memory

255-60 rear
215-60 front
They would tie in with my rim sizes

Ian

Jim - Do not try fitting a 245-60-15 as a front tire on an RCR. I originally started with a 225 thinking the extra width would help - they rubbed on the wheel well at the rear of the well, on the flare, when turning due to the [small] increase in diameter. I had Ron Randall of Metalmorphous rework the inside of the well flare ever so slightly for insurance even with the 215's I eventually used. You might be able to use 245-50's but check before you buy. A.J.

Last edited:
Jim - Do not try fitting a 245-60-15 as a front tire on an RCR. I originally started with a 225 thinking the extra width would help - they rubbed on the wheel well at the rear of the well, on the flare, when turning due to the [small] increase in diameter. I had Ron Randall of Metalmorphous rework the inside of the well flare ever so slightly for insurance even with the 215's I eventually used. You might be able to use 245-50's but check before you buy. A.J.

Thanks A.J. Good information. I was hoping for a 215 60 15 in front... Still looking for the "matching set". What a pain!

Back