Recommended torque specs for 2010 Camaro brake calipers

Joel K

Supporter
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some recommendations on torquing up the Camaro SS calipers and banjo bolts.

I found these specs online...
11CAFDCF-C6E9-41BC-9912-A959A7C41EF7.jpeg

The stock Camaro bolts are torque to yield so not sure if using Class 10 or 12 metric bolts you would use the same torque spec. The SS being the LS3 spec above.

Also I was thinking of using blue thread-lock as well on the caliper bolts.

Appreciate the feedback.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I use blue Locktight on just about everything that doesn't use a nylock nut on it. I advise cleaning and drying using locktight primer as well.

Joel K

Supporter
I use blue Locktight on just about everything that doesn't use a nylock nut on it. I advise cleaning and drying using locktight primer as well.

Thanks Howard, would you agree with using the GM factory torque specs. I am thinking torque to yield are different than the hardware I have. The rear bolts are M12 12.9, Fronts are M14 12.9.

Joel,

Torque to yield fasteners are a different specification than the M12 12.9 and M14 12.9 fasteners that you have with your calipers. Follow the standard torque specifications for this grade of fastener that can be found on Fastenal's website or Holochrome, etc. Below is a generic chart from the internet for metric fasteners.

1619108776203.png

I am a little surprised that GM would use torque to yield fasteners on the brake caliper mounts. The normal primary purpose of torque to yield fasteners is to achieve a more consistent clamping load. This is beneficial in engine assembly (LS head bolts are torque to yield) to achieve a consistent "pinch" on gaskets such as a head gasket. Torque to yield fasteners as you probably know are one time use and with brake calipers being a maintenance item I am surprised they would use torque to yield fasteners.

X2 on using blue Loctite, good insurance for fasteners not backing out under vibration and heat cycles (that the brakes will certainly endure).

Back