Renault Trans: Clutch Master Cylinder

Hi all,
The general considered opinion seems to be that the standard Renault master cylinder is to large and should be sleeved down to give a better feel/pedal travel. The question is: what diameter new piston/seal should be used and from where. I've access to a machine shop so I'm looking to convert my own if someone is willing to share the information.

Many thanks
Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Andy

Mine works fine
Original Renault Slave
3/4 or 0.75 inchMaster on a Tilton Hung pedal box

Clutch is light

Ian

Mike Pass

Supporter
It depends on the clutch you are using. If you are using a Renault clutch then the standard Renault master and slave should be OK.
I recently changed to an AP clutch (Ferrari 355 type from Mick Sollis 01489788345) and found that when I used a 0.75 inch master cylinder and the standard Renault slave cylinder that there was just not quite enough movement at the slave to fully release the clutch. In order to get enough clutch arm movement I used a sleeved down slave cylinder from Chris Cole (01952 416051) which was spot on and gave enough movement and a reasonable clutch pedal weight. If you need one of the sleeved down cylinders you will have to supply a slave cylinder for him to sleeve down. He also does a much stronger thrust bearing carrier and bearing which is far better than the original Renault item.
I got my 0.75 inch master cylinder from Powertrack 01753842680 who were very helpful.
I also had to make a new pushrod. You can cut out the original pin on the Renault clutch arm and replace it with an HT bolt. Then make up a new pushrod so that you have a small amount of free play when released with the slave piston fully pushed back.
I suggest you fit it all together and simply try it out and the work out from the amount of movement you have at the clutch fork and how much is needed to fully release the clutch what ratio of diameters for slave and master will work for your setup.
Other sources of Girling master cylinders are Brakes International, Merlin Motorsport and Burton Power.
Cheers
Mike

If you're looking for a Girling cylinder, try Performance Brakes in Monmouth 01600713117
Ask for John Freeth. They fixed me up with a replacement for my GTD that uses a Renault box.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm using a AP sintered paddle clutch, so thats why I believe I'll need a smaller bore slave cylinder. All I need is what diameter should it be and what is the donor source.
Regards
Andy

Hi all,
As an update, I've now come with my own solution & parts source to sleeve the Renault slave cylinder down to 22mm. I can supply them on an exchange basis if required.
Regards
Andy

Back