Reproduction Suspension Components?

Charlie M

Supporter
After the RF demise and losing my deposit, I've started thinking about building my own chassis. Not having to design and build my own suspension would save me a lot of time and work. Is anything commercially available for original-looking suspension components? I don't need an exact replica (it'll be a space frame chassis), in fact something that uses front spindles that are readily available in the US would work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
The DRB (GT40 Australia) uses the full '87 Corvette front setup - top & bottom wishbones, uprights, hubs, brakes, etc.

In the rear, we use DRB uprights which take '87 Corvette spindles & brakes.

Its an easy solution that works very well - cheap in the US, not so cheap over here in Oz !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Charlie M

Supporter
Peter,

The Corvette setup may be a good option. One of the guys I work with has a Vette around that year. I'll check out his car to see what it looks like. Can you email some pictures of the front and rear DRB setup please?

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie,
Check the 'Warts and all GT40 Australia #48' thread in the GT40 Australia section
for pics of the Corvette front end. This was one point that swayed me toward
the GT40 Australia kit. The arms so low light aswell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Charlie - a shot of the front :

Attachments

• 79295-FrontSpringInstalled-a.jpg
    79295-FrontSpringInstalled-a.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 362
I have them from vintage Wheels and i believe that Trago also makes them. It's the bolt spacing that is the important measure. I believe it is 4.25 soacing with .5 bolte 5 pin.

Devin

Supporter
Peter,

I too have/am considering this option. I have also considered the Mustang II front suspension setup and a Thunderbird or Cobra IRS rear hub assembly as another alternative. The Mustang II's advantage is that info/specs and availability of ready made parts is all over the net. The only thing on the rear is designing and building your rear arms and suspension design and dimensions.

At less with this route, you can say its and "all FORD" car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Devin

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Devin, the choice is now much wider in this respect than when Denis Bedford designed the DRB. None of the local Fords had IRS back then, so the alloy front & back setup from the Vette was probably the best choice (still may be for the front - nice light alloy off the shelf, huge choice of brakes, etc).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

For anyone interested in using the T/Bird-Cougar rear knuckles on a chassis, I make tubular a-arms for this application. If you are interested send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can send you some photos and specifications.

Charlie M

Supporter
The DRB uprights in the rear using the readily available Corvette hubs are an interesting option. Any idea how I can get a pair? Is there a US DRB dealer? Anyone have a used set?

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie

The DRB rear uprights are really nice...but not cheap.
I doubt you'll find a used pair....maybe Fran Hall.

If not, Peter Ransom will sell you a set...he's done
so for others. If you go that route ask him for a pair of the adapter rings to accept the 88-92 Vette brake set up.
That's a much nicer design than the shoe arrangement of the
84-87.

MikeD

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Charlie, one of the DRB agents in the US is Forum member Bill Bayard.

You migh also want to look at the rest of the rear DRB setup - lower a-arm, top control arm, bolts & clevis for each. That way, you end up with a pre-designed "outboard" setup, & all you have to do is mount the control/a-arms/trailing arms.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back