Reverse lights

I need a reverse light, also called back up light(s) to get an inspection sticker on my car. Has anyone found a nice little light to suit these requirements when necessary? Has to be white, and I'd prefer it not be an L.E.D. style

Have spent a bunch of time on the tube this morning and the ones I find are either too large like driving lights or look to be too cheaply made as in plastic trailer lights.

I'd like to tuck it right in under the rear crossmember of the chassis to keep it out of harms way.

Many Thanks

Brian

Howard Jones

Supporter
This is where I put mine. Lower left of gearbox cover. This is one of two standard GTD reverse lights. I don't know what they come from.

Anybody?

Attachments

• HPIM0421.jpg
    HPIM0421.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 779
Here's mine. Added a piece of steel to the rear frame, undercoated all and put the light on it. Got it from either Car Builders Solution(several types to choose from) in England or from Harbour Freight Tools.

Bill

Attachments

• Web P1010159.jpg
    Web P1010159.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 719

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Cut mine from the rear boot trim of an australian ED Falcon and fitted them into my fabricated number plate bracket either side of the number plate.
Dimi.

Attachments

• PICT0141.JPG
    PICT0141.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 672

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Brian, I used Hella #1403 reversing lights on mine - nice rectangular units (about 3" x 4") with a good quality chrome finish & a useful bracket for mounting.

I glassed aly brackets into the rear clip, just below the lips of the rear openings, bolted them on, then put my mesh covers on.

No! says the engineer - no mesh allowed. So I just took the mesh covers off for the rego checks & all was ok. Stupid rule (but don't get me started on those) - you only need 1 light, but I had 2 - even with the mesh covers on place, I had about 1.5 times the light that you would get from 1 light & no covers - but that didn't meet the "rules". So after rego, I just put the mesh covers back in place - heaps of light from the reversing lamps, & they are subtley hidden behing the mesh. I doubt that any "Constable Plod" will pick me up for the mesh (too many other juicy targets on the car !).

The attached pic just shows the rectangular lights behind the mesh.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• DCP_0623 (Large).jpg
    DCP_0623 (Large).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 679
Some jurisdictions have very specific rules concerning backup lamps. For instance in California, the lamp cannot project beyond 75 feet, and must be wired through a switch so they come on when the car is in reverse. The rules only require one lamp, but the inspectors usually require two. And there is no point in arguing, if you want them to issue the certificate.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Take a look at the New (BMW) Mini

It has lights that pretty well mirroe the holes in the rear air outlet alininium covers.

I have seen a car with the lights fitted and it looked good - I do not know how much this will restrict the airflow through th rear vents.

Ian

Take a look at the New (BMW) Mini

It has lights that pretty well mirroe the holes in the rear air outlet alininium covers.

I have seen a car with the lights fitted and it looked good - I do not know how much this will restrict the airflow through th rear vents.

Ian
Here's the new(BMW) mini lights on my roadster.
legaL001C.jpg

Brian,
Unfortunately I don't have a photo, but CHris Hale her ein the UK used the mini fog/reversing lights, which fit very nicely into the oval vents at the rear and look like they are made to fit there.

Brett

As a follow up, I stumbled upon an MGB and liked the looks of the little square reversing lights they use, so I am going to give them go and hang them from the rear cross member.

Brian

Hi Brian

As Ian has already mentioned I used both the reverse & Fog lights from a mini, I myself think it looks very unobtrusive but that’s only my view.

Regards,

Chris.

Attachments

• Classic Le Mans 2006096.jpg
    Classic Le Mans 2006096.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 330
Back