Ricardo Gearbox - Which Starter are You Using?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Just curious which starter people are using with the Ricardo? I've been doing some searching and one can find remanufactured units for ~$160 US to Tilton units for ~$400 to Motorcraft OE units for $700+. That's quite a range! What are you using?

Regards,
Dave L

here's some for $70 :eek:

Ford GT Starter - Starter - Partstrain.com

I don't know which ones I'd trust though - I mean, I highly doubt, given the low number of Ford GTs, there's a company making reman'd ones, so maybe they just grab the closest thing and say good enough?

I would just do what I'm doing and ask Fran to supply it - it's not like he's going to screw you in the pricing, lol.

Pete

Lifetime Supporter
Hello Dave and Alex,

Unless things have changed regarding availability as Alex has mentioned the reman starters don't exist. Places that advertise them sort of do it as a default without really knowing. They assume the standard starter is the same. After calling them and asking a few questions even they discover they don't really have them as advertised. I think you'll find you will be paying in the range of $400 to $600 us for new. There are a couple of guys that are Ford parts dealers on the Ford GT and Modularfords forums that have been good with prices. You might go there and do a search.

Pete

Dave,

Max at Five Star Ford in Scottsdale has them @ $550 OEM and NIB ($35 core charge included). Given that there is a "core charge", maybe there are a few rebuilds out there?

The box it came in from ford $550. may help in your search, good luck. let us all know if you find it cheaper.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 282

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the responses guys. I was wondering about the remanufactured units - I question anything that is that much cheaper than the stock starter. At this point I figure I'll either go with a Tilton (if I can confirm it fits) or I'll give Max a call.

Regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I called Tilton Engineering - their XLT starter will not fit. So, it looks like it has to be the Motorcraft unit. Time to call Max!

Regards,
Dave L

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I spoke with Max at Five Star Ford today. Starter prices have gone up. The retail price is $786.35. I was able to get one for $613.35 + $35 core charge. Also, the retail price for the clutch is $2040 and Max quoted me a price of $1759.50 + $50 core charge.

Regards,
Dave L

I spoke with Max at Five Star Ford today. Starter prices have gone up. The retail price is $786.35. I was able to get one for $613.35 + $35 core charge. Also, the retail price for the clutch is $2040 and Max quoted me a price of $1759.50 + $50 core charge.

Regards,
Dave L

silver state ford sells them for $555 + 35 core. https://www.silverstatefordparts.com/oem-ford-parts.html
the best clutch is the one made for Stillen by AP it's a better performing clutch for only $ 100 more but no core charge $ 1878 STILLEN : STILLEN Ford GT Performance Clutch by AP Racing

Back